Mama Bear

Work. Definitely a four-letter word. 

Kaya didn't want to venture inside. She had seen a sneak peek at the front of the store. The line went around the corner already. Did people have nothing better to do with their lives? 

She hadn't even taken the time to consider the girls in high school uniforms with the crazy stalker signs. Things written in red ink that Kaya definitely wanted to un-see. 

What kind of fan club did Ransom Lee have?

Kaya now had a choice. She could walk through the back door and take her place in Noel's cafe... or she could run away like a coward and avoid everything. 

Choice two sounded really tempting. 

Unfortunately, avoidance wouldn't fix anything. 

Kaya rested her forehead in her palm. "You can do this. You can get through this. The news will die down." 

She didn't believe herself, but telling herself that made it easier to open the door and step into the kitchen. 

The smell of fresh cookies and brownies met Kaya. She inhaled deeply and let the familiar smells center her. She could do this. 

"You're quite the sensation." Noel pulled a muffin tin out of the oven. "Especially with the fan club." 

"It's an official fan club, isn't it?" 

Noel laughed softly. "You really keep your nose out of the news, don't you? Ransom Lee, Conditus CEO, is basically a super-star. A lot of girls like his persona, so they made a fan club. It's fanatic culture, is all." 

Kaya winced. She knew those high-schoolers looked like trouble. "Why me?" Kaya threw her hands up in exasperation. 

Noel shrugged. "You're the one who wore the shirt." 

"You read the tabloid, too?" 

"Hey, people kept talking about it. I didn't like being in the dark. It was a nice shirt, so I understand why you borrowed it." 

"Why are you being nice to me?" 

"This isn't nice, honey. This is conversational." 

"I'll open the doors." 

Noel waved a hand. "I already opened them. Go waitress. Be careful." 

"Yes, ma'am." Kaya grabbed an apron and headed for the dining area. 

"Hey!" Noel called after her. 

Kaya looked back. 

"If anyone gets too bad, let me know, okay?" 

Awkward. Kaya forced a smile and nodded her head. "Yes, ma'am." She wouldn't question why Noel seemed nicer today. She would take it at face value. 

Kaya stepped into the dining area. 

The whole room went silent for five seconds. 

"You can do this," Kaya reminded herself. She pasted a smile on her face and grabbed a notepad. 

With determination, Kaya approached the first table. "Have you ordered yet?" 

"You're the girl from The Everyday Celebrity, right?" 

Kaya winced and tucked a stray hair behind her ear. "Um..." She hesitated to nod. 

The man at the table gave her a once-over. "Yeah, you're right. I don't get what he's thinking either. She's nothing special. Dang, for a guy who could have any woman he wants, why would he pick this one?" 

"Right?!" His threw his hands in the air. 

Kaya looked down to her notepad. "I'm going to have to ask you to order..." 

The second man leaned closer to his friend. "I think it's stranger that Conditus isn't issuing a statement. You think she's been chasing him one-sidedly?" 

"Excuse me..." Kaya tried again. 

"That has to be it!" The first man snapped his fingers and pointed at his buddy. "Or she's his side-chick." 

"HEY!" The voice carried loudly from the kitchen door. 

Both men looked up. 

Noel pointed at one, then the other. "This is a business. Order your food or get out!" 

Kaya had never felt more like hugging Noel. She mouthed a silent thank you. Noel simply gave one nod and returned to kitchen duty.