Misconceptions

Ransom moved back and sat on the edge of the bed, allowing Kaya just enough room to spot the trio at the doorway. 

She could have predicted the first two. Lina and Jade, arm in arm and ready to throw hands. 

The third seemed less likely, but the more she thought on it, it made sense. Tobin inclined his head in greeting, but his eyes darted back to the women beside him. 

"I should have known something like this would happen when you sprinted out of the office like a thief." Jade rolled her eyes. 

Lina narrowed hers. "For a man who didn't want to be in a scandal with my bestie, you're sitting awfully close." 

Kaya expected some kind of reaction from Ransom, but she saw none. In fact, Ransom leaned back, planting one hand on the opposite side of Kaya's ankles. 

"I don't think I ever put that title on our relationship." 

"Doesn't matter. Everyone else did." Lina stuck her tongue out. "As for you, brother dearest, let's have a little chat in the hall, okay?" 

Zoren's smile seemed forced, but he headed toward Lina and Jade. 

"I will take care of my cousin." Jade extricated her arm from Lina's and stepped into the room. "Tobin, stay so I don't murder anyone." 

"Why would you...?" Kaya glanced between Jade and Ransom. 

Jade pasted a half-smile on her face. "Don't worry, Kaya. I wouldn't actually murder him. After all, it's partially my fault, as well. I gave you the shirt." 

"That's kind of splitting hairs, but okay?" Kaya hated being at the center of this conflict, but it seemed she didn't have a choice. 

Lina yanked Zoren into the hall. The door closed behind them. 

Jade folded her arms. "I'm very proud of you for taking responsibility." 

"Well, that's not what I expected." Ransom rose to his feet and put his hands in his pockets. "Did you have a change of heart somewhere between my office and the hospital?" 

"I thought Kaya might hate you, but it appears she doesn't." Jade winked in Kaya's direction. 

Kaya looked away, trying to gather her thoughts. Did she really not hate Ransom? He had brought her to the hospital when she fainted. He must have a heart. Somewhere. 

On the other hand, it had technically been Zoren who saved Kaya from the reporters this time. 

When Kaya looked up, it was to the sight of Ransom staring back at her. 

Ransom didn't turn his gaze back to his cousin when he spoke. "No, it appears she doesn't hate me." 

"Then it's all settled." Jade clapped her hands together. "The misunderstanding is cleared up and it's no longer my fault." 

Ransom's breathless chuckle caught Kaya's full attention. "You wish." He swiveled to face his cousin. "You still had better explain. You knew the shirt was mine and a limited edition. Saying that it completed the outfit doesn't make the cut." 

"I don't know what else you expect me to say." Jade lifted a shoulder. "There is no other truth to it." 

"I think you and I had better discuss this at a later date." Ransom pushed past Jade. "I'll leave you two to talk." 

"I heard Zoren claims to be Kaya's boyfriend." 

Ransom stopped mid-step. "He does." 

"How unfortunate for you." 

Without a word, Ransom evacuated the room. 

Kaya watched him go, uncertain what to think. She didn't know him, not really, but she had made judgments about him. Now, the press thought she and Zoren were an item. It wouldn't be easy to deny those rumors. 

How did everything get so complicated?