The Discussion

"Nope. Definitely no. Not leaving." Leona folded her arms and shook her head. "Leaving my fiancé with the other woman? It's just not going to happen." 

Ransom rubbed his thumb and forefinger against the bridge of his nose. "How many times do I have to repeat myself? We are not engaged to be married!" 

"Well, not now. At this specific moment. But things can change again." 

"Leona, we are not getting back together." Ransom blinked, made a face, and held up his hands awkwardly. "What am I saying? Back together? We were never together in the first place." 

"Says you." Leona winked. "Either way, I'm against leaving you and Ms. Parker in the same room all night."

"Um..." Kaya raised a finger as if that would get her any attention in this twisted back-and-forth of opinions. 

Ransom reached out to gently nudge her hand out of the air and back toward her lap. "Yes, my love, what is it?" 

"I would just like to point out that technically, there are two rooms. I was planning on sleeping in separate rooms." 

"You poor, naïve little thing." Leona reached out both hands to pinch Kaya's cheeks. "So cute!"

Kaya pushed Leona's hands away. "What do you mean?"

"Never mind if I believe that Ransom is cheating on me or not. What about the media? The two of you have worked so hard to establish a pure little relationship. What are they going to say when the two of you don't leave the hotel all night?" 

And to think that Kaya had begun to actually like loony Leona. What kind of person pointed that out to someone who had been the victim of the press multiple times? Kaya knew Leona didn't like her, but she didn't realize that Leona hated her. 

Ransom rose to his feet and inserted himself between Leona and Kaya. "Apologize." 

Leona arched her brows. "Why? Did I say anything wrong?" 

"Lots." Ransom moved aside to motion a hand to Kaya. "Apologize to her, Leona. She isn't that kind of girl and you don't know what she's been through." 

Leona stared Ransom down. "No." 

"Then you're leaving now." Ransom grabbed her shoulder and spun her toward the door. "Let's go." 

"I don't want to leave!" Leona pouted. 

Ransom gave her another push toward the door. "I don't care. You don't get to stay if you're going to insult Kaya. She's been through enough this evening." 

"This is discrimination!" 

"Whatever you want to think." Ransom kept pushing her toward the door, not letting her have any leeway. "Just leave."

Leona turned to shout over her shoulder. "Be careful, Kaya! Lock your door! Bar your windows! Men are beasts!" 

Kaya didn't pay her much mind. Leona said nothing but ridiculousness all evening. Besides, Kaya knew Ransom. Ransom wasn't the type to take advantage of the situation. He would sooner gouge out his own eyes than fall below the standard he set for himself. 

"Ransom?" Kaya asked softly. "What about the press?" 

Ransom smiled wanly. "I have it covered. Just wait a moment." 

Wait a moment? What did that even mean? What were they waiting for? 

Kaya should have known better than to question Ransom. He always had a plan, no matter the situation. The man thought quick on his toes. 

Only a few minutes after Leona left, a knock sounded on the door. 

Ransom opened it without checking the peephole. 

Tobin stepped inside the door and held out a bag in Ransom's direction. "The things you asked for. Ms. Olsen has Kaya's things." 

Lina skipped into the room, not sparing either man a glance. "Good evening, my friend! Time to switch it up a little. I'm going to need your dress." 

"You're... what?" Kaya glanced between Lina and Ransom, then back again. 

Lina grinned. "I get to play you for the media." 

"I... still don't get it." 

Ransom chuckled softly and shut the door. "Well, Leona had a decent point. The press wouldn't let it go if we stayed all night here. But if they think we've left... no problem." 

Kaya let her weary mind wrap around Ransom's explanation, and finally came to one conclusion. "Tobin and Lina are going to pretend to be us and leave?" 

"Correct." Ransom nodded. "Tobin can keep a far enough distance that the press can't tell. He'll take the limousine and we'll take his vehicle tomorrow morning." 

Lina held out a rucksack. "This is your stuff. A change of clothes, some hygiene items. All you need." 

"Guys, I'm not... I don't need to stay here." 

"The doctor said rest." Ransom used his authoritative tone. "So you're not going anywhere until you've rested." 

Try as she might to come up with a good excuse, Kaya couldn't think of any argument. How did she get herself into these situations? 

"Fine. Come with me, Lina."