Morning After (pt. 2)

Lina worked quickly and efficiently, showcasing all her skills as a fashion model's assistant. 

By the time she finished, Kaya couldn't pretend to be indifferent to Lina's expertise. Where, before, Kaya looked like a sleep-deprived monster, now she looked beautifully morning-mussed. 

A few quick teases and curls made her hair fall around her shoulders in a messy-but-fashionable style. A few select strokes of foundation cleared the lines on her face. A touch of lipstick made her look alive. Heck, Lina even made her change into pajamas that matched. 

And she managed all of it in ten minutes. What kind of friend had Kaya stumbled upon?

Jade knocked on the bathroom door, then poked her head in. "I'm done yelling. Ransom brought breakfast, come eat. Oh, and he wants to talk to Kaya." She gave Kaya a once-over. "Good work, Lina." 

"I'm only half the magic." Lina winked at Kaya. "Knock him dead." 

Kaya frowned. "That's not my intention..." 

"Trust me, Ransom already thinks you're cute." Jade nodded her head toward the bedroom door. "Go talk. He sounded serious." 

"OH. Yeah." Lina smiled wanly. "Um, so, I forgot to tell you why I almost cursed when I woke up. Just... be warned. You're on the internet again." 

"Again?" Kaya groaned. Why couldn't people leave her alone?

"Relax, it's just the fansite." 

"You make that sound so harmless." Kaya blew out a breath. "Okay, I'll go talk to him." 

"Lina and I will be out in a few minutes to eat." 

Kaya nodded. At least this time she had backup. She wouldn't have to deal with Ransom all by herself. Again. Not that she couldn't handle him. He just had a way of getting the upper hand. 

With a dash of her fingers, Kaya settled her hair behind one ear. She didn't dare ask her friends for advice before she entered the battlefield. They wouldn't give her anything useful. 

Kaya cracked the bedroom door to peer out before she made any rash decisions. 

Ransom, coffee mug tipped against his lips, looked up at the sound. 

Kaya sucked in a breath as she made eye contact, accidentally. No going back now. 

She opened the door wide enough to step into the living area. One hand reached around her back to clasp the other arm. 

"You were looking for me?" 

Ransom set his mug down and motioned Kaya to come over. "You should eat. I heard you had an eventful evening." 

Of course someone told him. Probably Jade. Kaya tossed a look heavenward, silently praying that Ransom wouldn't get angry that she hadn't called him in her time of need. 

"Lina rushed over, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been." 

Ransom rested a hand against the sofa cushion next to him. "Come sit. Eat, and let's discuss some matters." 

Although she knew it most likely wasn't in her best interest, Kaya shuffled her way across the room and took a seat on the opposite end of the couch. No way was she going to get any closer than that. 

"I brought strudel and coffee cake. Also, if you dig deep into the package, there is a slice of strawberry cream cake." Ransom leaned back against the couch. "Please help yourself." 

Kaya paused, with only two questions resonating in her head. 

1. How bad was the discussion they needed to have, that Ransom would bribe her with all these sweets?

And, 2: Did Ransom know that strawberry cream cake was her absolute favorite?