The First Move (pt. 4)

Kaya didn't know where to begin. She had questions. Lots of them. She also didn't know what to ask first. 

Did she ask where they were going now? Did she ask what Ransom had meant by his comment back at the boutique? Did she stay shallow and ask how he knew the boutique owner, Cherie?

None of the options seemed appropriate. 

Self-conscious, Kaya reached to tuck her hair behind one ear. 

"You're not going to ask where we're going this time?" Ransom finally broke the awkward silence. 

Kaya glanced to Jade, who only raised an eyebrow. So much for help. 

"You won't tell me, so no." 

"No other questions?" 

The opportunity to ask everything on her mind seemed tempting, but Kaya thought perhaps she should ask them in private. Not with Jade listening from the backseat. 

"Not right now." 

Ransom nodded, his expression as unreadable as ever. 

Kaya turned to watch out the window. She recognized this part of town. She had explored it, although it had ended badly. Restaurants and clothing shops rested side-by-side, welcoming their wealthy guests. 

Ransom parked the SUV on a side street and shut off the engine. "Jade, stay close by. You're back-up. Just in case." 

"I knew you brought me along for a reason." Jade grinned and blew a kiss as she slipped out of the car. 

Kaya watched her disappear into the crowds. "Where is she going?" 

"To observe." Ransom reached over to unfasten Kaya's seatbelt. "We'll see her in a few minutes. She's not the kind to remain in the background." 

"The background of what?" Kaya turned to face Ransom, only to find herself staring directly into his dark eyes. 

Ransom grinned, that deviant grin he favored before he did something mischievous. "You'll see." 

"Can I at least go into this prepared?" Kaya folded her arms. 

Ransom tipped his head in acknowledgment of the request. "My fanmeeting." 

"Your what?" Kaya sat up straighter, prepared to fight if need be. "You're dragging me into the sea of crazies?" 

"That's a term of endearment I've never heard used for my fans." Ransom chuckled. His hand lifted to rest gently against Kaya's cheek. "Don't worry, I'm not dragging you. They won't dare do anything bad while I'm in the room. Trust me." 

Trust me. Trust me. Trust me. Two words that fell from Ransom's lips more often than anything else. 

Granted, in the past, trusting him hadn't been a bad idea. Things generally worked out the way that Ransom planned them. As if he knew ahead of time how people would react. As far as allies went, Ransom was probably the best ally that Kaya could ahve chosen. 

"Are you sure it's going to be okay?" Kaya glared at him, hoping it would force him to be serious. 

Ransom brushed a thumb under her eye, then retracted his hand as if she had given him an electric shock. "I'll make it that way." 

Kaya nodded. Though every instinct in her demanded to never trust anyone, especially a man, Kaya found herself falling into the web of security that Ransom built for her. 

"Then let's go." Ransom slid out of the vehicle and rounded the hood to open Kaya's door. 

Cautiously, Kaya balanced onto the new heels enshrouding her feet. 

Ransom held out an arm, an inviting smile upon his lips. 

Kaya didn't hesitate to wrap her hand around his elbow. 

Ransom rested his free hand on top of Kaya's. Together, with Ransom in the lead, they headed toward an intricate banquet hall door.