An Invitation

A week did little to dispel the rumors and gossip about CEO Ransom Lee and a little kitchen helper named Kaya Parker. 

Kaya didn't mind so much, given that most were rooted in truth, but she could do without Lawrence following her everywhere. Even if it did make her feel a little safer. 

Living in Jade's apartment still felt wrong, so Kaya had been searching for an apartment, herself. That came to a screeching halt when Jade found Kaya searching on her phone and went into a ten-minute-long monologue about how Kaya didn't love her anymore. 

Kaya didn't understand Jade's need to blackmail her into living together. Surely, Jade had better things to do. Besides that, the three friends were still laying sleep-over style every night. Kaya just wanted her own bed. Her own space. 

That meant that she would need to sit Jade down and discuss moving out. 

Not something she looked forward to. 

"Are you trying to murder the dough?" Alicia popped up uninvited, as always. 

Kaya sighed softly. "It's not kneaded enough yet." 

"Yikes, you're testy today. Something I did?" 

Yes. Of course. Alicia's very existence irked Kaya at this point. Where was Jacob when she needed him to take the annoying girl away?

"Why are you like this, anyway?" Kaya asked as she flipped and kneaded the dough again. 

Alicia shrugged. "I've always had a deep desire to find out the truth, regardless. I'm like a pit-bull once I get my teeth into something." 

"Wow, really?" Kaya smiled sarcastically, but she wasn't sure that Alicia noticed. 

Alicia didn't take note of a lot of things when it came to Kaya. In fact, Alicia completely underestimated her. A good thing for Kaya, but a bad thing for Alicia.

Designer shoes clicked across the tile floor. 

Kaya looked up from her dough to see Ransom sail her way. 

"Good afternoon." He stopped to wrap his arms around her from behind, rocking side to side as he held her. 

Kaya shoved at one of his hands, jerking her chin toward the little onlooker nearby. "We're being watched."

"I don't care, one way or another." Ransom pressed a kiss to the top of Kaya's head. "She can look all she wants." 

"Stop it, please. It's embarrassing." Kaya shoved at his hand again, her cheeks flaming at the public display of affection. 

Ransom chuckled, but he released his hold on her. "What are you making?" 

"Bread." 

"What kind of bread?" 

"The yeasty kind. To go with dinner." Kaya glanced up at him. "You're eating here, right?" 

"Tonight, yes. Tomorrow, let's do lunch and the afternoon." Ransom leaned against the counter at Kaya's workstation, effectively cutting off Alicia's view of her. 

Alicia rolled her eyes, but she retreated. 

Kaya blew out a breath. "You can stop pretending now." 

"Who's pretending?" Ransom rested his head against his palm. "I was serious. Don't you want to go on a date with me?" 

"I sense ulterior motives." Kaya gave the dough one final punch, then grabbed a towel to cover it before she set it in the warm oven. 

Ransom laughed softly. "You know me too well. I came with an invitation." 

"What kind of invitation?" In the past, those hadn't gone well. Kaya didn't know why it would change this time. 

Ransom reached for Kaya's hand with his free hand, then laced their fingers together gently. "I have a gala auction to attend. Won't you come with me?" 

"I'm not really the gala type." 

"You weren't, but this time you'll be with me. Please?" Ransom grinned. "I promise not to leave your side." 

"Shouldn't I be the one promising that?" 

He wrinkled his nose and shook his head. "I don't want to go with another woman. Please, Kaya? Attend by my side." 

"Won't I need a dress or something?" Kaya resigned herself to giving in. Ransom would bargain and beg until she did. 

Triumphant, Ransom brought Kaya's hand to his lips for a soft kiss. "We'll stop by for one tomorrow during our date. Thank you, my love." 

When he said things like that, Kaya couldn't refuse him. Ransom had a soft, gentle side that Kaya hadn't seen until their secrets were all aired. She found she rather liked it, despite her concerns about attending a high society gala with him.