The Forgotten Assignment (pt. 4)

"I can go in by myself. Really. No one's going to expect to see me here." Kaya hurriedly unbuckled her seatbelt and reached for the envelope on the dash. 

Ransom didn't move to stop her, but he did frown. "If you're not back in ten minutes, should I come find you?" 

Kaya hesitated. She wanted to act like she had it all together, but the truth was... she didn't. She had no idea if Ransom's fans had decided to physically stalk her. They were capable of it. 

"Okay." Kaya clutched the envelope to her chest, hopped out of Ransom's mid-size SUV, and darted for Skystar Entertainment's lobby. 

Go in, leave the files, go out. Go in, leave the files, go out. 

Kaya repeated the mantra to herself over and over and over again. She didn't look as professional as she would have liked, but Tobin had assigned her the task and she would get it done. She hadn't accomplished much else at her new job, but this she would do. 

The information desk loomed in front of her, but Kaya pushed past the dread and marched right up to the woman at work. 

The annoying employee gave Kaya's outfit a once-over before she lifted her chin haughtily. "May I help you?" 

"I'm here to see Mr. Perkins. From Conditus." Kaya managed a smile, even though she felt like the woman in front of her was looking down on her. Professionalism at its best. 

"Our CEO is a very busy man. I'm afraid if you don't have an appointment, you can't see him." 

Yep. She knew it. This girl definitely looked down on her. 

"But he needs these files. I'll be quick." 

"I'm afraid I can't help you, ma'am." 

"Priscilla!" A very, very familiar voice floated from nearby. It didn't take long to spot him, either. Kestrel sailed to the information desk with a smile and a wink. "Priscilla, dear, haven't we discussed this? Don't assume that people are out to play tricks." 

"Mr. Knox." Priscilla smiled back at Kestrel. "Do you know this woman?" 

"Of course I know her." Kestrel looped his arm around Kaya's shoulders. "I'll take her up now, alright?" 

"My sincerest apologies, Mr. Knox. Of course, she's all yours." 

"Kes-"

"Let's go." Kestrel used his arm around Kaya's shoulders to steer her through a security check and toward the elevators. 

Kaya wormed her way out of his hold. "Kestrel, what are you doing?" 

"Saving the company a public scene and a long legal battle." 

"What?" 

"Let's just say I'm being your friend." Kestrel shrugged. "You're here for Mr. Perkins?" 

Kaya nodded, then held up the envelope. "I'm supposed to deliver files." 

"Mr. Perkins' secretary is reliable. You can leave them with her. If you value your self-confidence, I suggest not talking personally with the CEO." 

"You hate him that much?" 

"I work for his company, not for him. If things were like that, I would have left a long time ago." 

"Maybe you just enjoy flirting with the receptionists too much. I wonder if I should tell Jade..." 

Kestrel held up a hand to stop her. "Let's keep this between us. Not because I was seriously flirting, but because I only just managed to make progress with Lady Jade. I don't need setbacks right now." 

"You really like her?" 

The elevator dinged, its doors opening. 

Kestrel merely smiled and waved a hand. "Safe travels, m'lady."