Kitchen Beat

Kaya found the kitchen with no problem, whatsoever. After all, the signs pointing to the cafeteria naturally pointed toward the kitchen, as well. 

To be wholly honest, stepping into the kitchen felt much more familiar and comforting than stepping into the CEO's office. The smells of food and ingredients permeated the air, making it feel the most homey to Kaya. 

Someone emerged from the walk-in freezer, then turned his head back toward the door. "Marcy? I think Big Sis is here." 

"Big Sis?" A second head peeked out of the freezer, this one small and feminine. "Oh, hi! Betty, the new hire is here!" 

An office door at the back of the kitchen opened with a squeal. An older woman shoved a pair of glasses up her nose. "You must be Mr. Lee's new assistant. Do you know how to work a kitchen?" 

"Um..." Kaya tried her best to smile at all the new faces. "I helped my mom run a bakery growing up. And I worked across the street at Cafe Dulcis before I came here." 

"Ohmigosh, you're her!" The young man clapped his hands together, skipped across the kitchen, and planted his hands on Kaya's arms. "May I have your autograph?"

"Jacob, now is not the time." Betty finally made her way across the floor. She used a plastic folder to smack the back of Jacob's head.

"Ow!" Jacob reached back to rub at the spot. "What was that for?" 

"Don't mind him, he's the intern." Betty shot him a sideways glance. 

Jacob folded his arms in a pout. "I just wanted Big Sis's autograph."

"Why do you call me that?" Kaya smiled softly, trying to smooth over the entire situation. 

Sure enough, Jacob dropped his arms and grinned wide again. "You're new here, like me, but you've got a better position. You've got backbone behind you. So we're like siblings, in a way, but you're definitely better than me. So you're my Big Sis." 

Kaya nodded. That mostly made sense. Strange, but logical. She could allow it. 

Betty waved the girl over from the freezer. "This is Marcy. We have another worker, but she's out on break. I told her not to get a boyfriend." 

"I look forward to working with you all." Kaya reached out a hand, hoping Betty would shake it. 

Sure enough, she did. With a smile. "We look forward to working for you. Thank God the CEO got someone else to cook for him. I was about to have a coronary." 

"Is he that picky?" Kaya tried her best not to worry her lower lip. 

Betty, Marcy, and Jacob nodded in unison. 

"He has a very sophisticated taste." Betty sighed. 

Marcy wrinkled her nose. "And he knows if there's anything sweet in what he's eating."

"It's ridiculous," Jacob concurred. 

"Anyway..." Betty motioned toward a far corner. "We've prepared a spot for you. Is there anything you'll need? We're more than glad to help." 

Kaya tried to recenter her thoughts. Clearly, the three were a bit gossipy. She would have to be careful about that. 

"May I borrow some ingredients? I'll pay you back later." She didn't have time to run to the store, decide what to make, and return before Ransom Lee's self-imposed deadline. 

Betty nodded. "Of course. Just make a list of what you took." 

"Yes, ma'am. Thank you." Kaya headed for the corner station and looked over each aspect. 

Finally, her own space. Here, she knew what to do. Here, she could focus and breathe. Kaya squared her shoulders and rolled her neck. It was time to get to work.