Switch

The car pulled to a stop under a single flickering street lamp. 

Kaya, not one to travel, didn't know this place existed. A single street on the outskirts of town, with only four houses to call its own. The farmhouse before them sat at the end of the cul-de-sac, apart from the other three run-down homes. 

"We're here," the man driving announced.

Kaya did her best not to flinch at his harsh tone. She had to see this through to the end. "He's... here?" 

"He owns the whole street, so don't try anything." The man jutted his chin toward the house. "Get out, let's go." 

If the whole street didn't look like something out of a horror film, Kaya might have less regret about her decision. Things being what they were, she had run out of escape options. 

Trust. They'll find me. Kaya had made sure that Zoren saw the license plate. He wouldn't sit back and do nothing. There were people on her side now. She wouldn't end up alone again. She could trust them to come through. 

With that determination resounding within her, Kaya opened the door and stepped out onto the pavement. 

"This way." The man took Kaya's arm and steered her toward the side of the house. 

Upon closer inspection, Kaya could make out open cellar doors there. Not the most reassuring thing that could happen, but she hadn't expected to be reassured. Richard Aberdeen had always wanted her out of the picture. 

Just stay alive. As long as she could survive until Zoren figured it out, she would have a chance. 

"Ms. Parker." The man pointed to the cellar stairs. 

Kaya nodded once, took a breath, and then descended into the dark depths. 

She didn't know what she expected. Not the piles of crates or the single chair in the center of the room. Not the single lightbulb, not even bright enough to reach the darkest corners. Certainly not the man standing behind the chair, smirking as if he had won the war. 

Kaya's step faltered, an instinctive reaction he probably expected from her. 

Richard Aberdeen patted a hand against the chair. "Have a seat, Kaya." 

The cellar door slammed closed behind her.

Stay alive, Kaya reminded herself. If doing what she didn't want to do would save her life for a few more minutes, she would do it. 

Every inch of her body shaking, Kaya settled into the chair and rested her hands in her lap. 

Richard patted a hand against her head sarcastically. "It took a lot of effort to get you alone."

"Because I know what you'll do to me." 

"But you still came." 

He had a point. If he hadn't brought Ransom into this, Kaya never would have come along so easily. 

Richard circled around the chair to face Kaya head-on. "If you have questions, now is your last opportunity to ask them." 

Kaya swallowed. She had figured out most of the story, and she didn't need to know why he wanted her dead, so only one question presented itself. "Is my mother still alive?" 

"I have no reason to kill the woman I love." Richard clucked his tongue. "Is that the best you can do?" 

"I already know you're going to kill me." Kaya shrugged a shoulder. "I'm outnumbered." 

"Smart girl." Richard leaned closer. "But not too smart." 

With his close proximity and Kaya's knowledge that she could do nothing to save herself, instinct rose up. Kaya flung a hand to slap him across the face. 

Richard reacted in a similar fashion, sending his hand backward across Kaya's face. 

Kaya wanted to slap him again, but one of the guards caught her wrist. In one smooth motion, he slapped a handcuff around it, then attached the other end of the handcuff to a rung on the back of the chair. 

Richard chuckled, a maniacal sound that sent shivers down Kaya's spine. "You've changed." 

"I would hope so." 

"Sir." The guard who had brought Kaya this far stepped to Richard's side. "He's almost here." 

"Much as I would like to continue this, it's time to take my leave." Richard massaged his fingertips against his reddening cheek. "Goodbye, little Kaya." 

Richard turned for a second set of stairs, which presumably led up into the house above. 

Kaya jumped out of the chair, aiming to dash after him. Only when the handcuff pulled too tightly around her wrist did she realize the chair had been bolted to the cement floor. 

"Just sit still. The inferno will take care of you. It will be over quickly." Richard shot Kaya one last glance. "A quick death is the last favor I offer you. On behalf of your mother." 

The door at the top of the stairs closed. Silence descended. 

Footsteps.

The screeching of tires. 

A fuse sparked. 

Then the explosion.