Morning Advice

Kaya woke to the sound of her alarm. Usually, she would hit the snooze a few times. This morning, her fingers didn't find the snooze button, but rather a small piece of paper. 

Curious, Kaya pulled the sticky note off of her clock and read the short note. 

If you want to talk about it, my ears are available. If you want me to forget it, I will. 

It wasn't signed, but Kaya didn't need to see a signature to know who wrote it. Only one incident occurred the day before, and only two people had been witness to it. Only one of the two would leave such a note. 

Kaya sat up and scrubbed her hands through her hair. One way or another, she had to go to work. She didn't think she could pretend that nothing happened, but she definitely couldn't tell Ransom Lee about it, either. Never. Not ever. 

If she asked Lina about it, she would have to explain why she panicked. Not something she wanted to get into. 

Jade would probably tell her cousin, Ransom, if Kaya asked about what to do. 

Which left only a couple options. 

Kaya dragged her feet getting ready for work. Who would want to go to work when they had to deal with the side effects of last night's bad decision?

Though she could have taken public transportation, Kaya chose to walk. It would make her late, but right now she didn't care. 

The brisk morning air helped to ground Kaya. She knew she shouldn't fret over things that hadn't happened, but it was hard to push them to the back of her head. 

The morning commute held the most amount of people on the sidewalks, making it difficult to walk without bumping into someone or another. Kaya apologized more times than she liked to admit, but it seemed the right thing to do. 

The kitchen already buzzed with activity when Kaya arrived. She retreated to her own corner, anyway. Under the assumption that Ransom hadn't eaten breakfast yet, she should prepare it for him. 

"Big Sis!" Jacob skipped his way over and wrapped his arms around Kaya in a hug. "Welcome back and good morning! Can I help you with anything today? Marcy kicked me out of the prep station for being too chatty." 

Kaya smiled a flustered smile, thinking what possibly possessed this young man to be so friendly. 

But, if he was offering help... 

"Stay and talk with me for a while?" 

Jacob nodded and reached for a stool. "I'll sit right here and if you need me to go grab anything I'll do it." 

"There's something that's been on my mind this morning..." Kaya almost felt bad using such an eager participant as a sounding-board.

Jacob tilted his head like a puppy. "What is it?" 

"I have a friend who... didn't make a good impression on her boss. In fact, she made his life harder. But she doesn't really want to talk about the incident. What should she do?" 

"Why doesn't she want to communicate? Isn't that the basis of a good relationship of any kind?" 

Dang it. Jacob had a point. 

"It's related to a... traumatic time in her past."

"Then she should just say that, shouldn't she?" Jacob shrugged his shoulders. "Oh, you're missing eggs. Let me go get some!" 

Kaya watched Jacob jog off, wondering if it might be just as easy as he made it out to be. It might be worth a shot.