Tobin's News

Mid-morning brought Tobin to Ransom's apartment, and along with him a sense of dread and gloom. The black briefcase in his hand didn't help to put anyone at ease, either. 

Kaya stood to her feet, eager for any information that Tobin could offer her. 

Tobin stretched out a hand and motioned for Kaya to sit. 

"What's going on around here, Secretary Boy?" Jade folded her arms, earning an eye roll from Kestrel. 

Tobin settled his briefcase on the coffee table, perched a pair of spectacles on his nose, and took a breath. "Ms. Parker, before I begin, let me first tell you that Mr. Lee is fine. This is all under his control."

Kaya didn't know if the statement relieved her anxiety or outraged her. If this had been in the plan, why hadn't Ransom told her about it? It seemed like important information. 

"I've been following the entire process closely, and I can assure you that all legal measures are in place to ensure the safety of everyone involved in this arrest, including Mr. Lee." 

"How would you know that?" Jade retorted. 

Kestrel rested a hand on her shoulder. "Perhaps let the man finish first?" 

"Thank you, Mr. Knox." Tobin rolled the numbers on his briefcase until it unlocked with a click. "I will address Jade's concern first. I have been with Mr. Lee for many years now, but before that I worked as a highly-sought-after corporate lawyer. I also studied criminal law for a year in college."

"And now you're a secretary?" Jade huffed. "I like you as much as anyone, but I don't buy it." 

"I assure you, I'm much more than a secretary." Tobin slid a piece of paper from the briefcase, handed it to Kaya. 

Kaya scanned the short list, all names she had seen on a longer list recently. "These are..." 

"The lawyers and a few police officials that are under Richard Aberdeen's charge." Tobin produced a second piece of paper. "Our theory rests around the thought that we should know how they fight a legal battle in order to best them when it matters." 

Know thy enemy. Smart. Kaya handed back the first piece of paper to receive the second. On it, only a location and a phone number. "This is...?"

"Mr. Lee's current address in jail and how to contact him in case of emergency." 

"Why?"

"He was concerned that you would be too anxious alone. It's the same reason he didn't tell you about this yesterday. Mr. Lee didn't want you to do something rash." 

Kaya? Do something rash? Okay, so maybe she would have tried to come up with a counter-plan, just in case this one didn't work. Or she might have begged him not to do it. Ransom didn't easily say no to her, so she could see why he kept it secret. 

Kaya set that paper on the coffee table. "What was he arrested for?" 

"Fraudulent business practices." Tobin waved a hand through the air. "All fake, of course. We'll prove it in due time." 

Jade huffed. "How long is that?" 

"It should only take a few days." Tobin sent Jade a tight, annoyed smile. No doubt her antagonism was getting to him. "Until then, Mr. Lee requests that you stay here and do not, under any circumstances, go anywhere. Not at all. Definitely not alone." 

That sounded logical. Kaya nodded her agreement without thinking it through. Ransom's plans didn't backfire, right? She should listen to what he asked her to do. For everyone's safety and sanity.