The Girls

The next morning dawned surprisingly calm and clear. Kaya didn't understand the feeling swirling inside her chest. As if she lived in both reality and a fantasy. Did the night before really happen?

Did Tobin really save her from a rogue gang of emotional teenage girls?

Frantic knocking from Kaya's front door brought her straight back to reality. Who could that possibly be at this hour of the morning?

Kaya wrinkled her nose at the thought of getting up, but climbed out of the bed anyway.

"I'm coming, I'm coming..." she muttered, quietly cursing the monster who had the audacity to appear at this hour of the morning.

Kaya barely had time to unlock the door before Lina flung it open and ushered Jade in behind her.

"Um..." Kaya glanced from one woman to the other. "What's going on?"

"As I suspected, you haven't seen it." Lina clucked her tongue. "You've really got to keep up with the latest news. I have a full-time job on my hands just helping you adjust."

"I'm not sure I follow. Why is Jade here?" Kaya noted the rolling tote bag behind Jade. "What's in the bag?"

Jade flipped her long hair back behind her shoulder. "Weapons."

"What?"

"Oh my gosh, Jade, be more specific." Lina rolled her eyes. "Here, take a look at this first." Lina held her phone out to Kaya.

Kaya hesitated to take it, but even though she didn't want to know, Lina would tell her anyway. Therefore, Kaya closed her eyes and took the phone from Lina's grasp.

She should have known better than to read the headline. Ransom Lee's Lover Identified.

Honestly, how far did these idiots intend to take this storyline? How many miles could they get off of it? Kaya had read the occasional tabloid before, but nothing as extravagant as this. If this was how they did journalism, they probably got sued on the daily.

Lina snatched the phone back. "You're taking too long. Let me tell you the gist. The world knows your name and place of business."

"Okay. So you and Jade are here because..."

"Clothes are a woman's armor." Jade squatted beside her tote and unzipped the top. "I have extras here in case there isn't anything suitable in your closet. What kind of concept are we aiming for, Lina?"

Funny, how they suddenly didn't ask Kaya's opinion on any of this.

Kaya heaved a sigh. "Guys, really. I'll be fine."

"Let us make it better!" Lina chided. She turned her attention to Jade. "I would say any concept that says 'I'm not the terrible woman the world treats me as'. Wouldn't you?"

"Guys?" Kaya tried again.

Jade rose to her feet and headed for Kaya's makeshift closet. She rummaged for a minute before pulling out a shirt and a pair of jeans. "My last makeover worked wonders." she paused. "I mean, it also put you into this mess, but it worked wonders. Let me continue to help."

Kaya could neither argue or refuse Jade. She had a niggling suspicion that if she wanted to get out of this apartment and get to work, she should listen to everything Jade and Lina said. They didn't seem like women who would take no for an answer.

Besides, another makeover was the least of Kaya's worries.