Hallway Conversation

"You don't look so well, did the lovebirds have a fight?" 

Kaya stopped in her tracks to look up at the young woman who asked. Of course, she didn't need to see her to know who said it. Only one person in the company would spew such annoying questions to Kaya's face. 

Alicia splayed her fingers in a sarcastic hello. "You're making my job super easy right now. I almost feel bad exposing the fake relationship." 

Kaya stared at the girl, wondering what on earth possessed her to be so hateful all the time. Couldn't she let other people live with a little breathing room? 

"Did I hit a nerve? Why aren't you saying anything? It's pitiful." 

"Hey!" Jacob jogged out of the kitchen door and toward Alicia. "Did anyone say you could have a break yet? And what are you doing? Are you bullying Big Sis again?" 

"Is it really bullying if I'm right?" Alicia rolled her eyes. 

Jacob frowned down at the young woman as he came to her side. "Big Sis, is she bullying you?"

"That depends on your definition of bullying..." Kaya really didn't want to get in the middle of things and regret saying anything, so she stayed on the fence. For now. 

"I said I'm not! I'm just trying to get the truth out of her!" 

Jacob reached out, wrapped his hand around Alicia's ponytail, and gave a short but firm tug. 

"Ow!" Alicia swatted his hand away and reached up to rub at her scalp. "That hurts!" 

"So do words when they're thrown like daggers." Jacob folded his arms. "I don't think it's fair of you to hurt others when you don't like being in pain." 

Did Jacob really say that? Surely nothing possessed him and took over his body and words, right? He could speak so eloquently and use analogies like that? Since when?

"I'm not actually hurting people, I'm just getting to the truth." Alicia glared at the taller youth. 

Jacob shook his head. "No difference."

"Oh, bite me." 

"You're the one that said it." Jacob reached out to grab Alicia's arm, as if he might actually bite her. 

Kaya raised her hands to stop him. "Jacob, wait!" 

Jacob paused with his hands mid-air. "Why?" 

"I don't think it's okay to bite her. Isn't that workplace violence or something?" 

Jacob glanced around the hall. "No one's watching." 

"But is it really a good idea?" Kaya tried her best to persuade him. 

Jacob shrugged. "I see no harm in it. She's being mean. It's like training a puppy." 

"I think you're all forgetting the security cameras." Ransom came strolling from the far end of the hall. "Even if you can justify your actions to me, I doubt it would end so well if she decided to take it to the police. It could be considered assault." 

"Ran- I mean... Mr. Lee." Alicia's whole demeanor changed. A smile lit her face. Her shoulders swung along with her girlish giggle. "I didn't know you'd show up here." 

"Why wouldn't I?" Ransom stopped to rest his palm lightly against the middle of Kaya's back. "I heard you're already stirring up trouble. As an intern, shouldn't you be more cautious?" 

"I'm simply looking for the truth."

"You're a very distrusting young woman, aren't you?" Ransom inhaled sharply. "As the president of my fan club, shouldn't you believe what I say? Do you think I would lie to you?" 

Alicia shrugged a shoulder sheepishly. "I just think there's something fishy going on, and I'm going to get to the bottom of it." 

Ransom shook his head. "Then I wish you good luck. Because it's not as nefarious as you think."

"Um, sir?" Jacob raised a hand. "Can I tug her hair when she bullies Big Sis?"

Ransom appraised Jacob for a few seconds, and finally grinned. "I can't control what you choose to do." 

Jacob smiled like an overeager puppy. 

Kaya closed her eyes in an attempt to center herself. This was getting way too out-of-control, way too fast.