Safe

Tobin sank into the car beside Kaya and gave a sign to the driver. Even though the fan club had followed them out of the alley, they stopped as soon as the car took off. 

Kaya laid her head back and took a deep breath. 

"Are you hurt?" Tobin asked firmly, but gently. 

"No. It just... triggered me a little." Kaya wrapped her arms around her abdomen. 

Tobin turned in his seat to face her. "Triggered?" 

"It's nothing." Kaya shook her head. "Your boss has a fan club?" 

Tobin might have rolled his eyes, but it was difficult to tell in the dim interior of the vehicle. "As a PR move, it's genius. Mr. Lee's fans set up their own forums and website. They treat him as a celebrity, when in reality he only runs a company. Most are especially interested in his private life. I would say you encountered some of the worst tier." 

"Can't he do something about them?" 

"Not really." 

"Why?" Kaya didn't understand why the object of their obsession couldn't get them to be a little more cordial. 

Tobin sighed. "You have to think of this from Mr. Lee's standpoint, as well. If he speaks up on your behalf, it will essentially prove the rumors true." 

"What if he just denies that we have a relationship? You know, since we don't?" 

"When has anyone ever believed a denial in the press?" 

Okay, Tobin had her there. Even Kaya wouldn't believe a straight-up denial. Which meant she would have to weather this storm alone. Again. 

"How did you know I was there?" 

"Oh. That." Tobin cleared his throat. "They were live-streaming." 

"What?!" Kaya slumped in her seat. Great. The very last thing she needed. More publicity. "Can I get my face taken down off the internet?" 

"You could, but the majority of the fan club has already watched the live streaming." 

A groan rose from Kaya's throat. "I want to crawl under a blanket and hibernate for a century." 

"If only that were possible. Instead, why don't you give me your address? I'll take you home." 

"I can walk." Kaya's immediate reaction was to refuse his kindness. 

Tobin snorted a laugh. "You were lost and we all know it." 

"We do?" 

"You met one of the content managers of the fan site. Her name is Alicia Fairchild. In her live-stream description, she mentioned how the two of you met. You asked for directions." 

Kaya wrinkled her nose. "I don't like her." 

"You don't have to. Tell me your address. Let's get you home." 

This time, Kaya didn't argue. She would get home faster if Tobin's driver took her there. She supplied the address and curled up in the seat. 

Tobin remained quiet during the ride, though Kaya didn't know why. He was easy to speak to, when he spoke first. Maybe the awkwardness came from Mr. Lee's suggestion that Kaya date Tobin. She could get over that. 

Then do you want to date me? 

Kaya tapped her fingers against her ears, hoping it would dispel Ransom Lee's voice from her head. How dare he plant such thoughts? She didn't need romance right now!

"Kaya?" Tobin rested a hand on her shoulder. "We're here." 

Kaya froze, then looked up like a meerkat coming out of its tunnel. "Oh." 

"There doesn't seem to be anyone around. You should be safe here." 

"Thanks." Kaya gathered her bag to her chest and tossed Tobin a small smile. "For everything." 

Before anything could get any more awkward, Kaya exited the vehicle and made a mad dash for her apartment. She needed her own space. If only to think. 

~~~

A/N: Hello, my lovelies!!!! Thank you for reading so far into this story with me! There's still more to come, and I'm super excited for it (if you couldn't tell by my exclamation points lol). I just wanted to say hi today and let you know that if you enjoy this story, it would mean the world to me if you would consider leaving a comment and vote. We'll talk soon! 

- Megan