Recruits

Kaya stepped into the kitchen office early the next morning. "Betty? Can I have a minute?"

"Of course, dear." Betty slid her glasses off her nose and set them down. "What can I do for you?"

Kaya inhaled, then exhaled. Why did she have to ask for this? Couldn't Ransom send the orders himself? He ran the place, after all. Meaning he had a lot on his plate. His busy schedule didn't allow time for this. That's what Kaya told herself.

Kaya lifted the flier she had been crumpling in her hands all morning. "How do you and the rest of the kitchen staff feel about being part-time waiters for an evening?"

"Come again?" Betty folded her hands on the desk.

Great. Now she was going to have to explain the whole thing in detail. Her favorite thing to do.

Kaya set the flier on the desk. "Well... you see... Ransom and I are attending this party. And the catering company needs part-timers."

"Yes. I see that." Betty smoothed out the crumpled flier. "Is there a particular reason that you're asking us?"

Great. She figured out half of it without Kaya having to go into detail.

"Ransom and I need your help." 

Betty smiled softly. "Does this have anything to do with Lawrence standing guard outside our kitchen day in and day out?" 

"A little, yeah." Kaya ducked her head sheepishly. 

Betty hadn't asked anything about Lawrence's presence or all the times that Ransom dragged Kaya out of the kitchen without a word. Though Betty didn't have the authority to fire Kaya, it must have been frustrating to watch a kitchen worker skip work all the time. 

The older woman inspected the ad closer. "I know the owner of this company. I'll call her."

"Um... if it's okay with you... Ransom asked to keep this quiet." 

"I understand." Betty grinned. "It's been years since I helped him behind the scenes on one of his missions. It's sure to be fun." 

"You've done this kind of thing before?" Suddenly, half of Kaya's trepidation fled. If Betty had done this kind of thing before, she must be okay with Ransom's handling of this situation. 

Betty laughed. "Mr. Lee likes to do the important parts of his investigations himself. The clean-up, if you will. This seems like one of those times. Do you need all of us?" 

Kaya nodded. "He said you would all be useful." 

"What about the interns?" 

"The interns?" Jacob and Alicia. Of course. Betty kept her eyes on them often. Kaya shook her head. "Ransom gave them their own tasks to complete. They won't be going in with the wait staff." 

"I'll get the others, then." Betty set the flier aside. "Tell Mr. Lee that we're awaiting his instructions."

Relief poured over Kaya in waves. She didn't know why she thought they would refuse to help. The kitchen staff had never been anything but kind. Hearing Betty say they would do whatever Ransom deemed necessary made a giant weight fall from Kaya's shoulders.  

"Thank you." 

Betty rose and circled the desk to give Kaya a hug. "It's our pleasure to help you. Don't worry. Even if no one else has your back, we do."