The Contract (pt. 3)

Kaya swung her gaze to Jade, hoping the woman could read minds. Don't leave me alone with him. 

It wasn't that Kaya couldn't handle herself with Ransom. It was simply the fact that the last time they'd been alone together, things hadn't exactly turned out well. 

Jade swiveled up onto her stilettos. "I expect you to take good care of her, Ransom. Let's remember that she's my friend, as well. I won't hesitate to use unusual methods of torture." 

"Yes, we both know you're quite good at those." Ransom waved her away. 

Jade tossed Kaya a smile as she dug her phone out of her bag. "Call me if he misbehaves." She walked away, dialing a number for some other acquaintance. 

Tobin gathered the contracts and gave a shrug. "I'll get your copy back to you as soon as possible." 

"Thanks?" Kaya drummed a single finger against her knee. She could totally handle this. She had no idea what she was doing, but she could handle it. 

The door clicked shut behind Tobin, leaving Kaya and Ransom completely alone. 

Ransom settled in the chair behind his desk. "Come here, then." 

Since he was now her boss, Kaya figured she didn't have much choice. She forced herself to stand and took it one step at a time until she was in front of his desk. 

Ransom opened a drawer on his right. He pulled out a blue lanyard and slid it across the desk to Kaya. "Your identification. It will allow you through the gates in the lobby and to restricted elevator areas, like the underground garage."

"What about the kitchen?" Kaya snatched the lanyard before Ransom could take it back. 

"You will, of course, have full access. The cafeteria staff has already agreed to give you an area they aren't using." Ransom reached back into the drawer and produced a credit card. He set it on the desk between them. "This is for ingredients. It's my personal card, since hiring a personal chef is my own choice, not a company position. Use it wisely, but not sparingly." 

Kaya was more hesitant to retrieve this item. It felt weird to have her boss' money in her pocket. Like she just took on more responsibility than she could handle. 

"Ah. And this." Ransom, for the last time, produced an item from the drawer. A cell phone. This one, he held out toward Kaya. "A new number, strictly private. The reporters won't be able to find it listed anywhere. Replace your current phone with this one." 

A lump formed in Kaya's throat. She had asked him to take care of the reporter problem for her, but she hadn't expected him to provide her a brand new phone. Nor did she expect him to take care of it so fully and precisely. 

"Thank you." Kaya could barely utter the words, but she managed them. 

Ransom reached for her free hand and settled the phone in Kaya's palm. "Thank me by working hard." His fingers inadvertently brushed hers. 

"I won't be a burden." Kaya snatched her hand and the phone away. 

She didn't miss Ransom's grin. 

"I look forward to seeing you work, then." Ransom motioned to the door. "Lunch will be at noon. I will be eating in my office." 

Kaya nodded in understanding. As fast as she could, she vacated Ransom's space. If she reacted like this every time he needed something, would she even survive a week? Kaya leaned her head back against the closed door and took a calming breath. 

She could do this. No matter how difficult it seemed.