After The Fact

When Ransom told the employee to register a room, Kaya didn't expect... this. 

Oh, sure, she should have known it wouldn't be like she expected, but clearly she needed to expand her definition of extravagance. 

Kaya had expected the typical bed, bathroom, desk kind of room that most hotels offered. Instead, she found herself in a sitting room situated between two separate bedrooms. She would wager each room had its own respective bathroom, as well. A kitchenette that seemed more like a real kitchen also occupied the space. 

Sometime between Ransom picking her up and their entrance to the grand suite, Kaya had regained feeling in her legs. She could think straight now. A big plus, in her book. 

Ransom didn't look so relieved. His brows remained knit in deepest concern. 

"I'm fine," Kaya repeated for the umpteenth time. 

Ransom remained right where he was, crouched beside Kaya's knees. "You're still shaking." 

"It's scary to meet someone who's wanted you dead for your whole life." 

Ransom nodded, albeit slowly. "That's why I called a doctor. You may be in shock." 

"I'm really okay now, Ransom." Kaya pouted at him, hoping that might get her out of a checkup. 

"Really?" 

"Truly." 

He huffed a sigh, reached up, and stroked a thumb over Kaya's cheek. "You're still pale. We'll see what the doctor says." 

"You're so stubborn!" Kaya folded her arms. "Besides, what about the auction? What are you going to do about that? It's why we came in the first place. You can't just walk away from it. You're supposed to be networking and-"

Ransom's lips found Kaya's, warm and soft like always. His hand remained on her cheek, resting there like it might ground him. 

Kaya knew that he kissed her to shut her up, but she wouldn't complain. Ever since the first time, Kaya realized that Ransom's kisses were as addictive as the feeling she got from holding his hand. 

Ransom's thumb stroked her cheek again as he pulled away. "You're more important than networking." 

"I told you, I'm fine." 

"And I don't quite believe you." Ransom chuckled as a knock sounded at the door. "Don't move. I'll let our visitors in." 

Though Kaya didn't relish the thought of yet another doctor visit, she found she couldn't argue with Ransom. He really thought he was doing the right thing, in his own way. She couldn't fault him for that. 

Leona came flying into the room. "I brought the first doctor I found. Is she okay? What happened?" 

Ransom, of course, ignored Leona altogether. Instead, he extended a hand to the elderly gentleman Leona had brought. "Thank you for taking time out of tonight's schedule, sir." 

"You can call me Les or Dr. Mervin." The gentleman smiled and took the offered hand. "May I ask what happened?" 

"Nothing major!" Kaya called from her perch. 

Ransom gave her a knowing look. "This is my girlfriend, Kaya Parker. She ran into... a rather traumatic matter from the past. I'm concerned the shock might be a problem." 

"Oh, is that all?" Dr. Mervin nodded his head. "Let's have a look at the young lady, shall we?" 

Kaya patiently allowed Dr. Mervin to check all her vital signs, all the while listening in to the conversation between Ransom and Leona. 

"What happened to her, really?" Leona asked. 

Ransom shook his head at her. 

Leona leaned closer to his ear. "Are you sure you want to be with a girl as weak as her? I mean, come on! Who freaks out like that because of a conversation?"

"It's in your best interest to shut up," Ransom reprimanded. 

Leona zipped her fingers across her lips. "Alright, your loss. I'll win you over slowly." 

Kaya shook her own head. Even she knew that Leona would never win Ransom over. Even if Kaya wasn't in the picture, Leona didn't seem like Ransom's type. It gave Kaya a strange sort of reassurance. 

Dr. Mervin rose to his feet and turned to Ransom. "She's fine, just shocked like you said. Let her rest and she'll be good as new by morning." 

"Thank you, Doctor." Ransom shrugged Leona off of his shoulder and stepped forward to extend a business card. "If there's ever anything I can do for you, please don't hesitate to call." 

"I think I should be saying that." Dr. Mervin laughed softly and patted Ransom on the shoulder. "Take good care of your girl."

Ransom's girl. Kaya definitely liked the sound of that.