Bored

"Is secretarial work always this boring?" Kaya reached out to trace a pattern on Tobin's office phone. 

She was supposed to help him when she wasn't cooking for Ransom Lee, but so far all Tobin had made her do was sit still and not bother him. 

Tobin slid a stack of papers her way. "Would you like to help me paper-clip these together?" 

"Not particularly." 

"Then what are you complaining about?" 

Kaya sighed. "I thought it might be more fun. After all, he runs Conditus. There's a PR firm. Aren't there celebrity scandals to cover up or something?" 

"Only yours." Tobin shot Kaya a sideways glance. "Of course, that's why you're here." 

"Does he not do meetings, either?" 

"Not today." Tobin laughed softly. "Wait until tomorrow. There is a full schedule and Mr. Lee has requested for you to come along all day. Ah, he said to tell you to be here by 8 a.m. if you don't want to be left behind." 

Kaya wrinkled her nose. She had put a clause in about overtime needing to be told to her ahead of time. She should have specified how far in advance she wanted the news. Not that she had much of a life to interrupt. 

"It's still boring today." Kaya laid her head on her arms. 

"It isn't my fault that there's nothing for you to do." Tobin shrugged his shoulders. 

On cue, Kaya's phone trilled in her pocket. She dug it out to find a text from Zoren. 

The Cafe in ten minutes?

Kaya waved the phone toward Tobin. "If there's nothing else, I'm going to take a break. I'll be back in time to cook dinner for CEO Lee. What does he usually eat?" 

"Try something with steak." Tobin waved a hand at her. "I'll see you this evening." 

"Thank you!" Kaya shot up off her seat and out the door before Ransom could come out and protest her leaving. 

Either no one in the building recognized Kaya, or they had all been instructed to pretend they didn't know her. Only a few glanced her way as Kaya ventured down the elevators and out the lobby. 

Kaya had been so intent on leaving the offices that she didn't even think about the protesting fans outside of Cafe Dulcis. Until she crossed the street and found herself next to them. 

Kaya swung her face away from them and winced. How did she walk past without any of them recognizing her? If anyone around here recognized her on sight, it would be the stupid fan club. 

A large, strong arm slung its way around Kaya's shoulders. "You look way too concerned about this." 

Kaya wrinkled her nose at Zoren. "They're scarier than they look." 

"They may be scarier than they look but they'll never cross a guy twice their size. You're safe." Zoren steered Kaya toward the cafe doors. 

Kaya cowered away from the fans, especially after they started throwing glares. Who knew a fan club could be so obsessive over their object of affection? 

Zoren opened the cafe doors and shoved Kaya in ahead of him. "See? Not so bad. Let's sit." 

It was only after the door closed that Kaya realized what she had agreed to. Was this... a date?