Chocolate

"Were you attacked by the fashion police?" Noel eyed Kaya's outfit suspiciously. 

"I wish." Kaya pressed her hands over her face. At least she had escaped Jade's makeup attack. For now. "Can we forget it and get to work?" 

"I think you should forget about waitressing today." Noel glanced out the kitchen doorway and winced. "I thought this would die down, but I didn't count on the fan club. They're crazy." 

Kaya nodded emphatically. She couldn't argue with that. She witnessed it first hand the night before. 

"We have a delivery order for this weekend. A chocolate cake." Noel took a step back to be out of the line of sight from the dining area. "I'm assuming you know how to make cake." 

"Yes, ma'am." 

"Okay. I'll take care of the front of house. Let's just see those prissy little brats try to get through me." Noel rolled her sleeves up and straightened her shoulders. "Oh, and Tobin called. They need something savory for this afternoon. Two o'clock." 

"What? I-" 

Before Kaya could question anything else, Noel sailed out the kitchen door. Go figure. 

Kaya sighed and reached for an apron. She would much rather spend a day in the kitchen than avoiding CEO Lee's fangirls. 

Even though Lina had worked hard on perfecting Kaya's hair, Kaya pulled it all back into a messy half-bun. She much preferred working this way. For the first time since she came here, Kaya felt the comfort of the warm kitchen. 

Kaya fixed a savory dessert first, because she knew she would take more time with the cake. Though Noel hadn't said why Tobin ordered the dessert, Kaya found it odd. Usually, he ordered a whole host of things and one savory dessert on the end. Today, it was just the one. 

Thankfully, it sounded as if Tobin would pick it up instead of having it delivered. 

Kaya didn't know if she wanted to see that CEO again. 

With Tobin's order in the oven, Kaya turned her attention to making the chocolate cake. 

Every twist and turn of Kaya's wrists brought back memories from her childhood. Her mother's kind teachings. The constant scent of pastry and sugar. The first time Kaya made a batch of cookies on her own. 

Time flew while Kaya whisked, stirred, and baked. 

Before she knew it, Noel stepped back into the kitchen. "Tobin's here." 

"I'll bring his order out." Kaya wiped her hands on a damp towel and scurried to prepare the order. 

Noel simply agreed with a grunt. 

Kaya put the last of the cakes in the oven before she left the kitchen. The smell of chocolate swirled in the room like a hug. 

Tobin waited patiently at the front counter. 

Kaya opened a bag and set the order inside. "Sorry that took so long." 

"It's no problem." Tobin glanced around, then leaned closer. "Would you deliver it yourself?" 

"But... you're here." 

Tobin sighed. "Yes, I didn't think that would work so well. Are you sure you won't take Mr. Lee up on his suggestion?" 

"I'm sure." 

Kaya could have sworn she heard Tobin mutter, "For now." She didn't pay it too much mind. 

"Stay safe, then. Watch your back." Tobin took the dessert with a certain look of defeat on his face. 

Kaya didn't have the heart or time to worry about why Tobin asked her to deliver the dessert. She had other things to attend to.