Zoren's Solution

As promised, Lina bounded over to them as soon as they entered the warehouse. "Kaya. Brother." She turned to face Lawrence and swung her shoulders back and forth. "Lawry."

Lawry? Kaya shot a look of confusion between her best friend and her bodyguard. Had something happened? What did Kaya miss between the two of them? Something huge, given Lina's behavior.

Or nothing at all, given that Lawrence didn't bat an eyelash. "Good morning, Ms. Olsen."

"No need to be so formal." Lina clasped her hands over her heart. "Or do I really mean so little to you?"

"What... the heck?" Zoren narrowed his gaze at his sister. "Why are you acting weird?"

Lina's hands fell to her sides. "I'm not!"

"You are."

"She is, isn't she?" Kaya grinned to herself.

"Whatever. Get off my back!" Lina spun to point to a table at the far end of the small room. "The gear is there, we'll get the weapons once we go inside."

"Weapons?" Kaya, for the first time, gave the enclosure a good once-over. Camouflage outfits, helmets, and a vest. Where had they brought her?

"I vote that Lawrence is on my team," Lina suggested.

Lawrence shook his head at her. "I'm still on duty. I think it's best that I remain by Ms. Parker's side."

"She's got Zoren."

"No. This is my job."

"Zoren! Help me!" Lina whined.

Kaya raised a hand like that would get her attention. Only Zoren noticed.

"What's up, Kaya?"

"Where exactly are we?"

"The best place to get rid of stress." Zoren planted his palms on Kaya's shoulders and steered her toward the gear table. "Let's get going."

"Going to where?" Kaya craned her neck backward to glare at Zoren. "At least tell me what I'm getting into."

"I told you. Stress relief." Zoren picked up a jacket and held it open. "Gear up."

Kaya huffed at him.

Lina sidled up to her brother's side. "He likes to get you all confused, but I don't. We're playing laser tag."

Kaya never would have thought about playing laser tag to relieve stress, but it didn't seem like a bad idea. Especially when she had Lawrence, bodyguard extraordinaire, on her team. He had probably actually shot a gun before. Maybe he had tactical advice that could win them the Laser War.

Zoren zipped up Kaya's jacket and handed her the equipped vest to fasten over it. "You're going to feel so much better after this."

"Really? Are you sure?" Kaya fastened the buckles as she asked it. Between Zoren and Lina, no one was going to let her talk her way out of this. Escape? She'd better not even think it.

Zoren tossed a jacket to Lawrence and grabbed his own gear. "Have I ever lied to you?"

"Just that once about how you felt about me."

"Okay, scratch that off the record." Zoren rolled his eyes. "Have I deceived you about anything really important?"

Kaya shook her head at him. "No. I don't believe you have."

"Then let's get out there, slugger."