The First Move (pt. 1)

"What are you doing? Disembark the elevator." Jade waved a hand to beckon Kaya into the lobby. 

Kaya glanced both ways before she finally stepped away from the elevator doors. She didn't know what she expected. Ransom, lying in wait? A mob of crazy fangirls? At this point, either were possible. 

Thankfully, neither of those options came true. 

Ransom did not, in fact, lie in wait as Kaya assumed. Instead, he leaned against the front desk, conversing with the security guard. And, oh boy, when he smiled at something the guard said...

Kaya took a breath, willing her heart to stop racing. She wasn't supposed to actually fall for him. 

Ransom glanced sideways, spotted the girls, and stood tall. "Jade. Kaya." 

"Cousin." Jade grabbed Kaya's arm and steered her toward the desk. "To what do we owe the honor?" 

Ransom waited for the girls to cross to his side of the lobby before he answered. "Didn't Kaya tell you? We're preparing for war." 

"I was going to ask about that." Kaya held up a finger as if that would garner the cousins' attention. "Why do we have to go to war? Can't we do this peacefully?" 

"Not if you want them to stop tormenting you." Ransom shrugged his shoulders. "That said, it seems you're both ready to go out. Shall we?" 

Ransom raised a hand to motion the girls toward the back door. The one that led to the stairs for the underground garage. Thank God. 

Kaya had no intention of walking out the front door, escorted by the two most conspicuous people she knew. 

Jade kept a hold on Kaya's arm, as if she thought Kaya might run away if she let go. 

It wasn't that Kaya hadn't thought about it. Mostly, Kaya wanted to satisfy her own curiosity. Why did Ransom call her out like this? What war were they starting? Where were they going?

"Take a deep, calming breath," Jade suggested. She took a breath as an example. 

Kaya stared at her. "I am breathing." 

"Watch where you're going!" 

Jade's warning came a little too late. 

Kaya's foot slipped on the next stair and sent her careening forward. 

A large, strong arm wrapped around her middle to stop the fall before it happened. 

Kaya gulped in the air she forgot to breathe when she missed the step. A turn of her head brought Ransom's concerned features into view. Far too close for comfort. 

As realization seeped in, Kaya discovered herself held tightly against his chest, only one of her feet on solid ground. 

She scrambled to get her footing again. "You can let go now." 

"Are you sure?" Ransom glanced down, as if he didn't trust Kaya's limbs to work properly. 

Kaya nodded. "I'm sure. Thanks." 

"Aw!" Jade clasped her hands over her heart. "You two are the cutest. I don't understand how the fan club hates you." She shook her head, then started down the stairs ahead of them. As if she knew both Kaya and Ransom would have something to say about her statement. 

Ransom disentangled his arm from Kaya's waist, albeit reluctantly. "Let's go, then." 

"Okay." Kaya cleared her throat, too shaken from the near-injury to speak properly. 

This time, she didn't miss it when Ransom grinned to himself.