Confrontation

Once again, Ransom insisted on driving Kaya to work. 

Actually, he insisted she stay home and rest, but Kaya would have none of it. Not with Jade flitting around for the better part of the day. Once she pointed out that she wouldn't get any rest anyway, Ransom decided she could go to work. Provided that he escorted her. And that Lawrence watched over her throughout the day. 

Which was how Kaya found herself ignoring the big man outside the swinging kitchen doors. 

Part of her felt relieved. At least someone had an eye on her in case something else went terribly wrong. The other part of her knew that certain kitchen interns weren't going to let this one go. 

She knew she was correct the very moment that Alicia stepped into the room. 

"Who's the buff guy? Your bouncer?" 

Kaya rolled her eyes and punched a fist into the dough before her a little too violently. "He doesn't work for me, he works for the company." 

"Ah, so Ran is keeping an eye on you in case you slip up and tell me you two aren't really a couple." 

Another punch to the dough. "I still don't understand why you're on this kick about me and Ransom being fake. You can ask literally anyone and they'll tell you we're real. What is your problem?" 

"Okay, first of all, people are easy to fool." Alicia folded her arms and flipped her hair over her shoulder. "Second of all, as a founding member and the president of the Ran Fam, it is my sworn duty to ensure the quality and honesty of his relationships." 

"I don't think that's in the job description." Kaya slammed the dough into a bowl so it could rise. "Besides that, you're what? Sixteen?" 

"Eighteen, thank you very much!"

Kaya nodded patronizingly. "Right, right. Eighteen. All the more reason for you to grow up. Ransom is an adult, he can make his own decisions." 

"Sometimes it takes someone on the outside looking in to see the real problem. And... Ran is a public figure. His private life is public interest." 

"Again, grow up." Kaya whipped a towel off of a rack and covered the bowl of dough. 

"Are you underestimating me? You think I'm a child?" Alicia pushed her sleeves up her arms and stepped forward. 

"Good morning!" Jacob sailed through the door, quickly sized up the situation and marched to Alicia's side. "You're bullying Big Sis again?" He reached out for Alicia's ponytail. 

Alicia side-stepped and flashed Jacob a dazzling smile. "No. No bullying here. No need to pull my hair. We established this." 

Jacob held up his wrapped wrist. "We also established that this is your fault and you're taking responsibility for it. Be nice."

"Why are you always taking her side?" Alicia huffed at Jacob. 

Jacob shrugged. "She's a nice person." 

"You said I was a nice person!" 

"I said you were a pretty person. There is a difference."

"Are you saying you don't like me?" 

"That depends on your definition of like." Jacob shook his head. "Usually you're just plain mean." 

"Why, I oughta..." 

Jacob held up his injured wrist again. His eyes went wide, a pleading puppy look that no one could resist. 

Kaya didn't remember why she handed Alicia over to Jacob, but she didn't regret the decision. Putting the two of them together had been the best idea she had. Ever. 

Alicia stormed off toward the walk-in with a huff and a tousle of her head. 

Jacob skipped to Kaya's work station. "Hey, Big Sis. How're you doing? Are you okay? What are you making? Why is Lawrence outside the door?" 

Loaded question. Kaya smiled wanly. "It's a long story." 

"Does it have to do with you staying past work hours in Ransom's office?" 

"How... how did you know that?" Kaya blinked in an attempt to clear her suspicions. 

Jacob grinned. "Big Sis, it's all over the grape-vine. So... what really happened?"

Not for the first time, Kaya found she disliked rumors and gossip. However, this time, she was more prepared to deal with it than in the past. At the very least, she could tell the less important points. As long as others believed her.