An Unintentional Mistake

"Tobin?" Kaya tried tugging at her wrist again, but Tobin didn't let go. "You didn't say I'd have to deliver it myself. I'm still in my apron." 

Tobin shook his head. "It doesn't matter at this moment. Think of the treats as a peace offering." 

"For what?" Kaya shied closer to Tobin as they crossed the street. She didn't like the honking coming from various vehicles along the way. 

Tobin didn't even pause. "You don't know?" 

Strange. Hadn't Lina said the same thing not twenty minutes ago? Kaya looked up at the side of Tobin's solemn face. "Did I do something wrong?" 

"Let's get inside first." Tobin shot through the Conditus lobby doors, Kaya in tow. 

The guards not only let them pass without incident, they opened the gate before either of them reached it. 

"What's going on?" Kaya tugged at Tobin's arm. "Is something wrong?" 

Tobin used the hand holding the scones to press the up button next to the elevators. One of the doors dinged as it opened. 

Without preamble, Tobin pulled Kaya in beside him and hit the button for the very top floor. 

"Why there?" 

"When you meet him, give him these." Tobin pressed the scones into Kaya's hands. "Be honest with him. Tell him how it got to this from your perspective." 

"Who?"

"I think it's best if he explains." 

"Is he mad at me?" 

"I wouldn't say... mad... per se..." 

"I don't even know him." 

"Explain that you don't know what's going on. I'll be just outside. He can be harsh, but he's not cruel." 

"Who is he?" 

The elevator dinged again as the doors opened. Tobin led Kaya down a long path between cubicles, until they reached a spacious office. That's where Tobin stopped her. 

"One minute." 

Tobin strode to a set of double doors at the far end of the office and gave two knocks. "She's here, sir." 

"Send her in," came the deep-voiced reply. 

Tobin motioned to the door with both hands. "Go on in." 

Kaya paused just outside the doors. Long enough to read the name inscribed on them. Ransom Lee, CEO. 

Great. What did she do to tick off the Conditus CEO? She had never even heard his name before. How did she even go about talking to such an important stranger? 

Kaya took a deep breath and slipped through one of the doors. 

"So you're the girl." The same deep voice sighed out the sentence. "Come. Have a seat." 

Kaya didn't dare look up from the floor. The air vibrated with annoyance, all stemming from one particular inhabitant. No way she could look at his face when he already disliked her so much. 

"You don't want to?" 

"N-no." Kaya rolled her lips together. "Here. These... these are for you." She held up the bag of scones. 

"Put them on the table and have a seat." 

Kaya navigated her way to one of the plush couches in the center of the room. Setting the scones on the table in front of her, she settled on the very end of the sofa.