Fan Meeting (pt. 2)

"When did you start dating?"

The obvious first question, from a girl who couldn't possibly be older than fifteen. 

Kaya did her best to not clench her fingers around the legs of her trousers. She couldn't appear nervous, or they might suspect. Ransom said this plan would work, so it would. 

"It's been a few weeks now," Ransom answered effortlessly. 

Kaya shot him a look. A few weeks? She hadn't agreed until two days ago. How did he calculate in a few weeks?

Another teenager, next to the first, jumped up and snatched the microphone. "That long and you're still sitting so far apart?" 

"You would condone us sitting closer?" Ransom stood, moved his stool within a foot of Kaya, and reached over to take her cold hand in his warm one. "Is this better, then?" 

Kaya had never seen this playful side of Ransom before. It made him seem... childlike. As if he enjoyed a first love and would take any opportunity to hold that love close and cherish it. On top of that, the playfulness kept his audience in rapt attention. 

"Let's be cordial about taking turns," Ransom suggested. "Next question." 

"Who pursued first?" 

Ransom's grin seemed mischievous and amused. "I did, of course. Do you think someone like Kaya would give a man like me the time of day if I didn't?" 

Kaya blinked, flustered. Ransom hadn't lied. He did pursue her first. And she hadn't intended to allow him in. Did he use that remark to elevate her worth in his fans' eyes?

As if he read her troubled thoughts, Ransom gave Kaya's fingers a gentle squeeze. 

"What about Zoren Olsen? Didn't he say he was dating her?" 

"I believe we cleared that up in the official statement." Ransom dismissed the question without further comment. 

Another girl stood up to receive the microphone. This one, Kaya recognized. Hair a little messy. Sweatshirt a little too big. What had Tobin said her name was?

The girl balanced the microphone delicately in her fingers. "Hi, Ran. I think everyone is avoiding the most important question here. I actually have two of them. First, I'd like to hear what you two like so much about each other that you started dating?" 

Without skipping a beat, Ransom held the microphone out to Kaya. "You go first." 

Great. She didn't come prepared for this. Kaya knew one misstep could cost her. She lifted the microphone and took a deep breath. 

"I think... for me, personally... it's the way that he notices the little things and the way he always makes me feel safe. No matter what else is going on." Short, sweet, to the point. And all true, Kaya realized. Could it be that she really did like Ransom? 

She couldn't ponder that right now. Kaya handed the microphone back to him, her whole body shaking with adrenaline. She didn't do public appearances, so culture shock had begun to set in.

Ransom smiled at her as he answered the question as well. "I said it before. A woman like Kaya wouldn't have given me the time of day if I didn't put as much value on her as she is worth. I like that she didn't make things easy on me. It means she's worth my pursuit." 

A smattering of squeals and "aws" came from the audience. 

The girl with the microphone clapped sarcastically. "That's beautiful. Now, for my second question. Can the two of you tell me where you had your first date? At the same time. I think it'll be more romantic that way." 

Kaya turned to stare at Ransom. Their very first real dilemma had presented itself. If they discussed it, the fans would know they lied. If they didn't answer, people would get suspicious. They had to answer.

But what would Ransom say?