A Full Day's Work (pt. 2)

The caravan of three cars arrived at another skyscraper before eight-thirty. 

Kaya now knew why they left early. Though, under normal circumstances, they would have arrived in ten minutes, rush hour traffic slowed them to a crawl. 

Once again, the security riding in the other two vehicles only paid attention to Ransom. 

Tobin, thankfully, ensured that Kaya was by his side before he set off after the CEO. 

"What is this place?" Kaya asked Tobin. 

Tobin glanced down to her. "Skystar Entertainment."

"Why are we here?" 

"CEO Lee has a meeting with their CEO, regarding one of their more unruly artists." 

Kaya nodded. It made sense that a CEO would call another CEO for a problem like that. It was sensitive information, she wagered, and besides that, Ransom seemed decent at his job. 

The security stayed at the lobby entrance, while Tobin and Kaya followed Ransom inside. 

Bright colors and explosive images greeted them. An enormous screen above the information desk played a rotation of music videos and behind-the-scenes clips. Impressive, to say the least. 

Kaya had no time to dawdle. Ransom marched straight to a man with a secretary-type two steps behind him. 

"Mr. Lee." The man held out a hand to him. "A pleasure to see you again." 

Ransom took the hand offered and shook it. "It's a pleasure to see you, as well, Mr. Perkins."  

"I see a new face." Mr. Perkins turned his attention to Kaya. "Ms. Parker, isn't it? From the tabloids?" 

Kaya steeled herself and refused to take a step back. How did she respond to the question? She wouldn't lie. 

In the end, she nodded once. "Yes, sir." 

"She's my personal assistant." Ransom took a single step sideways, effectively blocking Mr. Perkins' view of Kaya. "Shall we move this to your office?"

Mr. Perkins smirked softly. "Of course. We have important matters to discuss." 

Ransom didn't look back, but he did stay directly in front of Kaya. 

She didn't know what to think about that. Perhaps he wanted to focus only on business, but it felt like an dormant undertone had sparked and come to life. Like he wanted to say something but couldn't find the words. 

Whatever the case, Kaya did her duty and fell in line behind him, next to Tobin again. 

Tobin didn't speak much, but Kaya figured that was in the job description for a good secretary. She tried to follow his example, especially since saying anything would more than likely make her a topic of conversation again. 

They arrived at the CEO's office in a decent amount of time. Ten minutes, tops. 

Ransom stopped at the doors. His head barely turned to acknowledge Kaya's presence. "I think it's better if you sit out this meeting. Tobin will brief you later." 

Kaya didn't know the reason, but she could hazard several guesses. Any of them were valid enough to render her arguments moot. 

"I'll wait out here." Kaya turned for the secretary's desk. There were chairs in front of it, so it shouldn't be hard for her to wait. 

Though Ransom paused as if he might say something else, he didn't. Ransom and Tobin disappeared to the other side of a set of mahogany double doors. 

Kaya curled one knee up to her chest and leaned back in her chair. She would wait here. Like an obedient little secretary. For as long as it took.