The Return of Leona

"I can't believe you kept this piece of vital information from me!" 

Kaya woke with a gasp at the upraised voice. 

Ransom's voice was quieter, to the point that Kaya could barely figure out what he said. "Lower your voice, she's asleep and if you wake her up, so help me-"

"I will not lower my voice. You should have brought this up to me earlier!" 

"Don't think that I won't throw you out again." 

Okay, the rapid escalation of this particular conversation needed intervention. Kaya flung her blankets aside and kicked her legs over the side of the bed. Her feet landed against the side of a pair of house slippers. 

Ransom's? Or had he gotten her a pair of her own slippers?

Oh, who cared? They would keep her feet from getting cold. Kaya slid her feet into them and found that they did, indeed, fit. Ransom truly thought of everything. 

A robe hanging on the closet door invited Kaya into its warm embrace. 

Suited up and prepared for battle, Kaya opened the door. 

Ransom and Leona both stopped mid-sentence to look at her. 

Kaya waved a hand. "Um... hi. Good morning." 

"You're up?" Ransom's tone softened considerably. They really needed to talk about the difference between how he treated Kaya and how he treated everyone else. "Did you get enough sleep?" 

"I'm okay." Kaya turned her attention to Leona. "You're back." 

Leona arched her brows. "Clearly." 

"And Ransom let you in." 

"I was making quite the scene in the hall." Leona shrugged. 

"Why?" Kaya tipped her head to study Leona. She did seem like the scene-maker type, but not when there were no people to see. "Did something happen?" 

"Why didn't you say that Richard Aberdeen cornered you? What did he do that for? Is he as sleazy as I predicted?" 

"Leona, enough." Ransom held up a hand to stop her. "It's a sore subject right now, don't push your luck. There's a reason I didn't tell you yet." 

Though Kaya appreciated Ransom's curt protection, Leona didn't seem like the type to let it go that easily. Better to give her a few answers so she would stop asking. 

Kaya sighed. "Richard Aberdeen and I have... a lot of bad blood running between us." 

Leona grinned like a Cheshire cat, a journalist who smelled a hot story. "Go on." 

"It's complicated." Kaya looked to Ransom for help. She didn't want to tell this woman about the past, but... if it would help... 

Ransom crossed the room in a few strides and wrapped his arm around Kaya's shoulders. "Leona, part of the reason we attended the auction gala last night was to ask for your help." 

"What kind of help?" Leona shot back. 

Ransom's thumb trailed a small circle against Kaya's shoulder. A reassurance or a nervous tic, Kaya couldn't say. "There's a rather large conspiracy behind Richard Aberdeen's rise to power. We're gathering evidence now, and I thought you might be the perfect person to shove the scoop forward when it's ready." 

"Oh, did you?" Leona's gaze flicked back and forth between Ransom and the woman at his side. "What's in it for me?" 

"An exclusive scoop, I just said that." Ransom glared. 

Leona lifted her chin. "I want a proper date with you. Or I don't help at all." 

Kaya didn't like the tightness balling in the pit of her stomach. Leona didn't give up easily, that was for sure. In work, it might be a benefit, but in her personal life Kaya didn't like it. 

"I have a condition." 

Kaya whipped her head to stare at Ransom. Did he have a fever? A rare brain disease? Did he just agree to go on a date with a woman who was not his girlfriend? 

"Say it." 

With a Cheshire grin of his own, Ransom turned his head to Kaya and bent his neck. Until their faces were a mere inch from each other. Until he stole any breath Kaya had. 

"Kaya comes, too."