Honest

Why did Ransom ask questions that spoke to the very heart of situations?

Kaya couldn't argue with him when he spoke so honestly. What could she possibly say without sounding petty? 

Then again, putting wasabi in his eggs ranked pretty high on the petty scale. 

"My anger is appeased." Kaya spun to head for the door. 

She didn't know when Ransom sprang from his chair, but he moved quickly into her path. 

Kaya rerouted in an attempt to get away from him. 

Ransom merely took a step to the side and blocked her again. "I don't want to use force, but I don't think I should let you leave this office until we've talked." 

"About what?" 

"About your behavior. Did I do something wrong? Is this about my jacket? Did I misread the situation?" 

Crap. His jacket. Kaya didn't have any room to argue about what he had done wrong, since she had forgotten to bring the jacket back with her. It probably cost hundreds of dollars that she didn't have in her bank account to repay him. 

"What... what situation was there to misunderstand?" Kaya rolled her lips together. 

"Then why are you angry with me?" 

A sigh slipped past Kaya's lips. Ransom pushed all her boundaries, but she knew he wouldn't let her go until she told him the truth. 

"You said you would protect me."

Ransom's face twisted and contorted into a myriad of questions and emotions. In the end, his shoulders slumped. "Is that it?" 

Kaya nodded. She didn't want to explain the rest of the situation to him. 

"My apologies, then. For not doing my job well enough. For being unprepared for what happened last night. For letting others talk about it. I'll fix it right away." 

Kaya froze. Blinked. Looked up. 

She hadn't expected it to be that easy. What did he mean he would fix it? People didn't just help without asking for something in return. Did they?

Ransom took a half-step closer to her. "I told you already. I want to pursue you. If I can't do even this much, I'm not a worthy candidate for your heart." 

"Oh. But... but Zoren and I..." 

"I'm aware of the relationship the press thinks you have." The tip of Ransom's tongue ran its way down his cheek and over his bottom lip. "Just say the word and I can change the narrative." 

"Into what?" Kaya didn't want to analyze the way her heart skipped a beat or the way the room suddenly felt too hot and small. She couldn't afford to like anyone. 

Ransom simply grinned at her, then took a step back. "I think you know what I'd like to change it into. Thank you for breakfast. And thank you for being honest with me." 

"I can make the eggs again if you want..." Kaya sheepishly scuffed a toe against the floor. 

Ransom shook his head. "It won't be my first time eating wasabi. I'll remove it myself." 

"Sorry for injuring your taste buds." 

"Apology accepted, but... I think you probably owe me a favor now." 

"A favor?" 

Ransom nodded. 

"What kind of favor?" 

"I'll let you know when the time comes." 

Kaya nodded, though it left her suspicious and anxious. "I'll... go type up yesterday's notes, then." 

Ransom stepped out of Kaya's path this time. "Have a good morning, Ms. Parker." 

Kaya scuttled past him and back toward Tobin's office. Why did every encounter with Ransom Lee have to leave her reeling?