Ransom's Meeting (pt. 1)

Lawrence hadn't left Kaya's side all morning. 

Kaya knew why. Mr. Golde had come to speak with Ransom, so Ransom had given orders that Lawrence wasn't to let Kaya out of his sight. Given the gravity of Kaya's situation, she couldn't blame him. If only she could be a fly on the wall in that room. 

That was the thought that sparked her current plan. 

Biscuits didn't take long to make, and they weren't sweet. Mr. Golde had come for a morning meeting, so taking a light refreshment shouldn't be out of line. 

That's what Kaya told herself, at least. If she stayed in the kitchen all day, she would go mad with curiosity. 

Lawrence didn't question it when Kaya headed for the elevator. To be fair, Lawrence rarely questioned Kaya's actions, so long as they wouldn't put her in harm's way. Kaya appreciated that about him. 

The duo rode the elevator car up to the top floor, neither willing to break the silence. 

The hall outside Ransom's office was, suspiciously, too quiet. An ominous stillness that made Kaya shiver. 

She hastened to the office door and stepped inside. 

Tobin looked up from his desk, rose to his feet, and smiled softly. "Ms. Parker." 

"Hi, Tobin." Kaya glanced toward Ransom's closed office door. "I brought breakfast." 

Tobin flattened his lips like that might stop his laugh. "I will see if he's indisposed. Wait a moment." 

Wait. The last thing Kaya wanted to do, but a trial she would endure. Ransom wouldn't turn her away, would he? Even if Mr. Golde did sit in Ransom's office, he wasn't the real threat. 

Tobin depressed a button on the intercom. "Sir, Ms. Parker is here with refreshments."

A brief pause, then the answer Kaya expected. "Send her in." 

Tobin lifted a single hand to motion toward Ransom's office. 

"Thank  you." Kaya shot Tobin a brilliant smile, more relieved than happy, and marched for Ransom's office. 

A single deep breath. A straightening of her spine. 

Kaya opened the door and stepped in. 

Ransom looked up from his conversation. 

Mr. Golde turned in his chair to see who had entered. 

Kaya pressed her lips together. She hadn't expected to feel nervous about this. Knowing that Mr. Golde knew something about Richard Aberdeen had her on edge. She needed to calm down. 

"Breakfast?" Ransom asked, snapping Kaya out of her stupor. 

Kaya gripped the tray a little tighter and forced her feet to move. "I thought you and Mr. Golde might be hungry, so I brought some biscuits." 

"Ah, so she works here." Mr. Golde's grin seemed forced. "That's how the two of you met?" 

Why would he ask that? Kaya wondered as she rounded to Ransom's side of the desk and set the tray next to him. 

Ransom's fingers dropped from his chair and rested at the back of Kaya's knee. Under the desk, where Mr. Golde couldn't see the reassuring touch. "More or less." 

"Ms. Parker seems the quiet type," Mr. Golde mused. 

Ransom's chuckle spoke a warning that few dared to ignore. "Ambrosius, if I didn't know better, I would say you're a little too interested in my private affairs." 

"Not at all, not at all." Mr. Golde waved a hand through the air. "I just can't help feeling that Ms. Parker looks awfully familiar."