Unforeseen

Kaya didn't relish the idea of leaving the volatile girls in the kitchen, but with Jacob and Lawrence there, surely they could handle the situation. At least, then, Kaya didn't have to deal with it. 

Ransom exited the kitchen hall into the main lobby. 

A bright flash went off. A sea of reporters and journalists surged forward toward Ransom and Kaya. 

Kaya took a step back. 

As if he sensed her immediate distress, Ransom spun, wrapped Kaya in one arm, and retreated back into the hall. 

"What's going on?" Kaya asked. 

Ransom shook his head. "I'm not sure, either. We should get out of here before they make it impossible." 

"I thought that the fan club were the only people interested." 

Ransom chuckled, grabbed Kaya's hand, and started for the door to the parking garage. "It's never been only the fan club, they're just the most vocal. Think about it logically, Kaya. I run a multi-billion-dollar company."

He had a point. If the press was interested in anyone, it would be Ransom. After all, as Jade had pointed out a number of times, he was one of the most eligible bachelors in the country for three years running. 

Kaya tugged at Ransom's hand to get his attention as they cautiously entered the underground parking garage. "But why are they here?"

Thankfully, no one jumped out from behind a column. They must not have infiltrated this space yet. 

Ransom looked all directions before he led Kaya to his SUV and opened the passenger side door. "I told you, I haven't the faintest clue." Gingerly, he helped Kaya into the vehicle. "So I can't answer until I figure it out." 

"Why don't you seem surprised?"

Ransom smiled wryly. "I was hoping to introduce you properly to the press at the gala. It seems they beat me to it." 

"So you knew this was coming?"

A cry of "over there!" interrupted any answer Kaya might have gotten out of Ransom. 

Quick as a flash, Ransom slammed her door shut and jogged around to the driver's side. Thankfully, he managed to start the car and pull out before the reporters made it to the vehicle's side. 

Kaya laid her head back against the seat and closed her eyes so she didn't have to deal with the flashes of cameras and the cries of questions. She had enough of that in her life. She didn't need to go through it again, no matter the circumstances. 

"Are you alright?" Ransom asked as he pulled the vehicle out into traffic. 

Kaya opened her eyes and nodded. "Reporters are hounds. They'll follow any scent." 

"They aren't enemies unless you make it so. Reporters can be used to our advantage." 

Confused, Kaya wrinkled her brow and looked over at Ransom. "What does that mean?" 

"It means, my love, that I have a plan." Ransom grinned, the devious grin that made him look ruthless and scheming. "And it begins with putting you under public scrutiny." 

"Why?" Why would Ransom want to torture her like that? He said he liked her, so why make her face one of her biggest fears?

With a sigh, Ransom gave only one sentence in answer. "Because if they're watching you closely, it's harder to make you disappear."