Chapter 58: The Path Of Life

Pov Rach

"Baby can you check on Emmie, she might want another advil before she goes to sleep" Emma said from the kitchen,

"Mhm" I said standing up setting my phone on the coffee table. I walked up the stairs and to Emmie's room. I gently knocked, "Hey" I said opening the door. Libby was laying beside Emmie and on her hand was a large shiny ring. I felt sick to my stomach and I didn't know why, I liked Oakley, I couldn't decide how I felt. I just closed the door and started to walk down stairs.

"Mama wait" I heard from behind me. I took a deep breathe and I turned to face Libby who was standing at the top of the stairs.

"I was going to tell you" she said and I felt like I was going to throw up.

"Mama please" Libby said coming more down the stairs. She held out her hand to show me the ring, "it's a promise ring, not an engagement ring" she said and I closed my eyes taking a deep breathe.

"I was going to tell you" she said again,

"Okay" I said, I don't know why I was upset, I felt like I had been left out of something that everyone already knew. I looked down at her hand and the ring it's was gorgeous, Oakley definitely knew her well, I wiped a tear off my cheek. I looked up at Libby who was watching me, her eyes searching mine.

"Come here" I said hugging her, she laid her head on my shoulder.

"You're so big, it's going to kill me" I said and she giggled,

"Never to big for a hug from my mama" she said and I rubbed her back.

"You guys okay?" Emma said from the bottom of the stairs.

"Yeah" I said in the hug,

"Ok" Emma said walking back into the living room.

*One week Later*

"Emmie come here so I can wrap your arm for the game" I called up the stairs.

"Mama can you come here?" Emmie said from upstairs,

"You okay?" I asked setting down the tape for her arm

"Yeah, but could you come here please" she said again,

"Ok" I said coming upstairs. I walked into her room and she was sitting beside Pancake's dog bed in her room,

"You okay?" I asked and she turned around her face was streaked with tears.

"Honey what's wrong" I said coming to her side.

"I think Pancake died" she said and I turned to Pancake, he was still and not breathing. Tears formed in my eyes, he would've been 12 this Christmas. I pet down his head and he was, Emmie's body shook with tears, I pulled her into a hug, I had to tell Emma, this was going to break her.

"Libby" I called

"Yeah, oh" she said coming into the room.

"Sit with you sister, I have to go talk to your mom" J said

"What's wrong?" she asked

"Uh, Pancake, he went to doggie heaven last night" I said and I could see the sadness grow in Libby. Libby grew up with Pancake. Tears rolled out of her eyes as she sat down beside Emmie. She wrapped her arms around Emmie crying. I got up and wiped under my eyes,

"Hey do you know where Libby is" Oakley said as I ran into her in the hallway,

"Pancake, he uh died last night, she's in Emmie's room" I said and Oakley looked shocked but nodded.

"Emma" I called in the house,

"Lj's room" she said,

I walked in and she was cleaning stuff out of the closet, I walked up behind her and stood her up, I put the laundry she was holding on the ground and sat her down,