Chapter 20: Understanding

Pov Rachel

My dad and Emma had walked back to the car together and I was paying with my mom.
"Honey how was Emma so calm with that lady?" my mom asked looking for her credit card.
"Mom I got the bill, but thats what she hears from her mom so she's used to it." I said pulling out my credit card.
"Her Mom?" my mom asked with her eyes wide.
I nodded "Yeah"
"Is that why you aren't spending all of Christmas there?"
"Yeah we are staying with her best friends family which is practically Emma's family" I said handing my card to the waiter, who looked at the card and said "The manager has taken care of your breakfast" she said handing back my card.
"Aww thank you" my mom said placing down $20 cash on the table.
"Oh how I'd like to talk some sense into Emma's mother" my mom said hooking her arm in mine to walk to the car.
"Me too, me too" I said leaning my head on my mom's as we walked to the car.

We got to the car and opened the door, Emma and my dad were having a karaoke party to christmas songs. Emma looked at me and smiled as I got into the car. She put her fake mic in my hand telling me to sing. I sang the verse as Emma watched me with a big smile.

We sang the whole way to the recital. When we got there we saw Luna and Will standing under a tree and Luna was sitting in a bench. We all walked over to them.
"Hey mom" Luna said trying to get up but William's hand on her shoulder.
People started walking in so we walked into the auditorium and took our seats. We had pretty good seats. I sat beside Emma and I held her hand in the seat.
She picked my hand up and kissed it before turning back to me and smiling. I rubbed the back of her hand with my thumb as the lights dimmed and we sat back to watch the performance.
After an hour the recital was over, my mom was crying and so was Luna and Will. We were standing in the main room waiting for our little dancer. She came running in her pretty dress. She hugged Luna's knees, then Will picked her up and hugged her, "Peanut you did so good" he smiled kissing her cheek which she wiped off with an Eww face. Then she saw me and her Nana
"Auntie Rachel and Nana you came" her eyes grew big when's he saw Emma, "You brought the fairy princess too". She leaned out of Will's arms into mine. "Thank you thank you thank" she said shaking me. I kissed her cheek, "You did amazing Buggie" I said.
She saw the concession stand and looked at Luna "Mama can Auntie Rachel and I and Mrs. Emma go get candy" she said pointing.
"Of course it's you big day" Luna said with a big smile.
Summer jumped with excitement and grabbed both our hands for us to wait in line. I had my arm around Emma's back and Summer was redoing a dance for us while we were waiting.
I felt something tap my shoulder I turned and I almost threw up.
"Rachel?" the girl behind me said. This cause Emma to turn around and make eye contact with the person behind me.
What do I do, pretend I don't know her. "Yeah" I said pulling Emma closer to me. Summer had turned as well to see who it was. She was standing between Emma's legs.
"Riley McAdams from high school" she said with a smile. I knew who she was she outed me to the entire school and said I liked her. Which had been true but I never knew how she found out.
"Yes I remember" I said turning back around and pulling Emma closer to me walking forward.
"Come on Rachel how many times do I have to apologize, I was dumb and young but I'm older now. Please Rachel"
I turned back around to face her "No"
Emma looked taken aback she had never seen me get and but Riley always knew what buttons of mine to push.
Summer looked up at me and hugged me and whispered "Don't worry skittles make everyone happy"
We were next in line so I smiled at Summer's attempt to make me smile. It worked and Emma squeezed my hand.
Someone joined Riley in line, but I didn't turn around but I could hear them whispering but I was getting out a dollar so Summer could get skittles. All of a sudden I felt Emma turn around.
"She doesn't owe you anything. You fucked up, and you just have to live with that. Now we are going to buy our niece a pack of skittles to celebrate her performance, and then we are going to walk over there to our family and you will go in the opposite direction. Thank you" Emma said then turned back towards me. I looked at her and she smiled and took Summer's hand after she got a pack of skittles and said thank you. I kissed Emma's cheek on our way back to our group.
"Baby did you see Riley McAdam's family is here" my mom said looking at me.
"Yeah she was in line behind us" I said.
"Why are they coming over here" Luna said looking at Will who stepped in front of Luna.