Watch From Afar

Two weeks passed and it was nearly Christmas

Two weeks passed and it was nearly Christmas. James Potter had still not spoken a word to Sirius Black, and he had to admit, he was struggling, but he knew it would take every bone in his body not to punch the boy again. Eloise convinced her brother not to tell their mum and dad about the break up  in fear that their father would seriously maim or injure the boy. Reluctantly the Potter boy agreed. 

He was in his dormitory rummaging through his trunk making sure he had everything packed ready to leave for Christmas the following morning. Peter and Remus were already packed so left  the room to grab some snacks from the kitchens. So, James was alone in the dormitory, placing his cloak and the map carefully on the top of his pile of clothes in his trunk he closed the lid locking it securely, when suddenly the door opened and someone stepped into the room.

Noticing James was there Sirius awkwardly stood in the doorway neither of the two saying anything as they looked at Each other the thick tension penetrating the air. "I can uh-come back later" said Sirius awkwardly 

"No, it's fine" shrugged James the award silence filling the air once more. 

"Have you-?' said James at the same time as Sirius said "I'm sorry-"

"You go first" said Sirius 

"Have you packed everything for Christmas?- Mum and Dad are excited to see you and El...they uh heard about the patronus'" said the Potter boy awkwardly.

Sirius stood there flabbergasted for a moment opening his mouth "You didn't tell them what I did?"

"No." James shook his head "El didn't want me to, said she knew I'd regret it if I did" he shrugged

"Oh." Sirius' heart ached at the mention of Els name realising he'd have to spend two weeks with her in the same house, and what would have been their one year anniversary. "I'm sorry"

James sighed hearing the boy apologise "I know." he said "But it doesn't fix anything" shrugged James "You knew what you were doing. And it's not like you just did it once. You were doing it for three months. Three months Pads! thats a really bloody long time. Sorry is just a word after three months..if you were that sorry you would've stopped after the first second. Not after you got caught. That's the only reason you're sorry, because you got caught. You hurt my sister Padfoot, so you hurt me." By now James was crying "My fucking sister Sirius! I've never seen her so..so..hurt. I'd do anything for my sister, even if that means life in Azkaban or being tortured into insanity. I would do anything to protect her, I just never thought I'd have to protect her from you.."

"I do love her James"

"No. You love your pride more, your reputation. It's who you are, Sirius Black, the heartbreaker, the player, the bad boy. And thats who you'll always be"

"I don't care about that anymore!" he exclaimed desperately "I just want her.."

"Well I suppose you stopped caring too late."