How dare you

Remus Lupin was a prefect

Remus Lupin was a prefect. Not a very good, nor exceedingly kind one. But he was a prefect. And his schedule took him to patrol the third floor corridor, which most of the time was deserted. The key word being most. His patrol partner was fellow Gryffindor prefect Lily Evans. Who; in comparison to Remus, was an  exceptionally good prefect who excelled in all of her classes and was uncommonly kind. However, this night in particular November 30th 1977, the Lupin boy found himself alone as Lily had fallen ill with a stomach bug. 

He searched the corridors for any stray students out of bed not expecting at all to find anything until he heard a giggle, coming from a nearby broom closet. The Lupin boy sighed opening the door of the closet causing the boy and the girl to fall out as he expected. What he did not expect however was to see Sirius Black beneath the girl, and he was certainly shocked to find that the girl was not Eloise Potter. 

Sirius laughed at the ordeal until he opened his eyes and saw his best mate glaring daggers down at him and the blonde bimbo on top of him. Upon seeing the look of pure rage, hatred, disappointment Sirius' stomach dropped. He had been caught. Eloise would find out, she would leave him, hate him and his heart hurt at the thought of the girl he loved so dearly loathing him. And James. Well, James would never speak to the boy again, James would go to Azkaban for murder. Their six years of friendship would be over in a matter of seconds when he found out. If that. 

Remus Lupin was gentle especially towards his friends but that did not mean he was always kind to those he did not like. And right now. He hated Sirius Black. "You" Remus pointed to the girl on top of him "Back to your common room, ten points from Hufflepuff and you have detention with McGonagall for a week" he seethed making the girl flinch as she scrambled up practically sprinting back to his common room. 

Sirius winced at his tone and his heart beat rapidly against his rib cage. He stood up reluctantly meeting Remus' angry eyes and opened his mouth "Mate listen-"

"No you listen!" roared the Lupin boy nostrils flaring as he prodded Sirius' chest. "How dare you? how dare you cheat on Eloise." venom dripped off of every word as he glared at the boy in front of him "She loves you! And this is how you repay her?" Sirius opened his mouth to interrupt but remus cut him off holding up his hand "Don't interrupt me Black. What the fuck do you think you're playing at? Prongs' sister Sirius. His twin sister. I don't think you quite understand what you've done, you have destroyed your friendship with James and he doesn't even know yet. I know you have a reputation for playing with the hearts of girls and breaking them but I must say I'm shocked" he laughed humorously "We all thought you changed for El, that you left your past behind you, we thought that you loved her.-"

"I do love her!" Sirius interrupted desperately 

"No! Don't you dare say that." bellowed the angry werewolf "don't you dare claim to love a girl; who adored you by the way, don't you even think about claiming to love her when you cheated on her." Sirius recoiled eyes brimming with tears as he now understood the consequences of his actions "She will never forgive you for this you know? You'll never get her back. I hope you're proud of yourself Padfoot because you're gonna lose the best thing that has ever and probably will ever happen to you." 

"Moony, I made a mistake and I'm sorry, I fucked up. I'm sorry-" 

"A mistake?" laughed Remus "How long?" 

"I-What?"

"Did I stutter? I said how long? How long have you been cheating on her for?"

"Since the start of sixth year" 

"I hope you're joking. Please tell me you're joking Sirius."

"I-"

"Merlins beard. Three months?"  he seethed "You fool! You absolute wanker! How could you?"

"It was a mistake!" Hurried out Sirius desperate for forgiveness 

"No it was a choice." glared the Lupin boy 

"I'm sorry" 

"Sorry won't fix this Sirius" he shook his head disappointedly at the boy. "I can't even look at you right now"  he said as he began to walk away from the boy shaking in anger.

"Please don't tell her!" said Sirius worryingly "I can't lose her"

"You should have thought about that before you cheated on her, your actions have consequences and you have to learn to face them, you've made your bed now lay in it"

Sirius' heart dropped and he could have sword he heard it crack slightly as it dawned on him that he was going to lose her. His soulmate. The love of his life. All because Davey Brinkman got to his head. All because her ex boyfriend said that he was losing his touch. 

"So you're gonna tell her?" 

Remus sighed contemplating the boys words for a moment before deciding his answer "No."

Relief washed over Sirius as he thought it would all be forgotten about and they could move on from it. Until..

"I'm not gonna tell her because you are." Remus stated matter of factly "But I will be telling James." 

His heart dropped at these words realising that this was it, it was time to face the music and by tomorrow, he'd have lost her once more. "Okay" muttered Sirius

"I won't tell him until you're out of the dormitory tomorrow morning though." Remus gave the boy a tight lipped smile "As angry as I am I don't want his to kill you on sight."

"Thank you."

"I'm not doing it for you. I'm doing it for James. I don't want him doing something I know he will regret. Unlike some."

Sirius simply nodded his heart chipping slightly as he realised he would lose both his girlfriend and his best friend. James' forgiveness would be hard to earn, quite probably impossible. James  Potter was Sirius' rock. And Sirius Black wasn't sure that he could cope without his rock.

But then again, he should have thought about that before he cheated.

a/n- I know I said Eloise wouldn't find out till 7th year but I couldn't wait any longer, plus I have a few new ideas for the story involving regulus that wouldn't work unless this happened now because regulus died in 1979. 

Plus I want James to find out, much to the request of many of you. 

Get ready for the next chapter coming tomorrow. It's gonna be one hell of a ride ;)