Old habits die hard

Eloise ran through the corridors late for Transfigurations running as fast as her short legs would go

Eloise ran through the corridors late for Transfigurations running as fast as her short legs would go. She rounded a corner almost tripping over as she found herself in the Transfigurations corridor. 

'Shite' she cursed looking at her watch realising she was five whole minutes late to her lesson with McGonagall. She burst into the classroom panting sending the professor a sheepish smile as everyone heads turned to her, including Sirius Black.

'Glad you could finally join us Miss Potter.' said the professor staring with an amused look to the girl. 'Take a seat next to Mr Brinkman.' 

Eloise nodded gratefully at the professor, quickly making her way to her seat, next to her fellow Gryffindor.

'Now. As I was saying before we were interrupted' said McGonagall sending Eloise a pointed glare, to which the girl responded with a wink. 'You will be working in pairs to complete this terms project. I want you to write a three foot essay on how to correctly perform a vanishing spell, and the possible consequences if used on a living being. Look long and hardly at the person sat next to you because they will be your partners for the rest of this term.' Eloise heard a faint 'whoop' from James and Sirius who were sat next to each other. 'Not so fast Mr Black, Mr Potter. I want you two to swap seats, Mr Black swap seats with Miss Evans please.' Both boys along with lily started to let out groans of protest, until of course James realised this meant he would be sat with his darling Evans. Sirius on the other hand was to be sat with Mia Colton, one of his former flings. 

Upon making his way to his seat, Sirius noticed Eloise chatting merrily with the boy sat next to her laughing at something he said. Davey Brinkman. He was a beater alongside Sirius on the Gryffindor quidditch team; easily one of the most sought after individuals of their year. Although she could not notice the envious glances she was receiving Sirius could, he saw the way girls looked at her wishing to be in her place, he saw the looks she received daily unbeknownst to her because she was easily the most attractive girl in Hogwarts. Maybe it was her long sleek dark hair, or her piercing blue eyes, maybe it was the way her nose scrunched up slightly whenever she laughed, or maybe these were all contributing factors as to why she received these looks. But that isn't why Sirius saw these looks, Sirius saw them because it's the same look he was giving Davey. 

Oh how Sirius longed to make her laugh, to see her smile in his direction again. She'd stopped coming up to the astronomy tower for their daily talks since their argument two weeks ago in the great hall, but he still showed up every night in hope of maybe seeing her there, during that time Sirius broke up with his girlfriend who's name he failed to remember. He was longing to just have her glance in his direction. But she wouldn't. She wouldn't look at him, she wouldn't talk to him and it made Sirius' heart ache. He missed their friendship, but his pride would not allow him to apologise to her. He survived without being her friend for four years, he could go back to that. right?

Wrong. Because Eloise Potter kept him going, she was his rock, she was one of his best friends. He didn't know how to function properly without her. He cared for her more than he would like to admit. He cared in ways that he wasn't allowed to care for his best mates little sister. He cared in a way that made his heart ache at the thought of her and Davey being any more than just friends.