Old and grey

"Hey baby" Spoke Sirius softly as he sat on the sofa besides Eloise

"Hey baby" Spoke Sirius softly as he sat on the sofa besides Eloise. It was past curfew and the girl was staring into the fireplace emotionlessly the heat from the fire stroking her cheeks and the warm glow creating the illusion that she was feeling much better than she really was. She was still a sickly pale and skinnier than she had ever been before and Sirius was beyond worried for her health.

"Hey" she managed to croak out resting her head on his shoulder as the sofa sunk next to her. "I think I'm starting to just accept it now" she said "I hate it so much but I have to accept it, I don't really get much choice do I?"

"You'll see them again love"

"Will I? Because I don't think I will"

"Of course you will" he reassured "If not in this life then in the next, and when you do see them in that life, they'll never be able to leave you again, ever." he smiled "But for now..you need to focus on the future"

"Tell me about it" smiled Eloise for the first time in weeks "Our future" she sighed as Sirius wrapped an arm around her whilst she leaned into his embrace. 

"Well, we'll live in out big house that we got in the summer" he smiled 

"And have lot's of children?"

"Ten" nodded Sirius "and when the war is over, me, you, Lily, James, Remus, Peter, Frank, Alice and all their children will sit in our garden, our girls and our boys all playing together like we used to in your garden."

"And will we have chickens?"

"Lots of them."

"And cows?"

"If you want"

"What about horses?"

"I would buy you a whole farm if you wanted it" he smiled "We could look after the chickens and raise the babies, and we will have a horse for each of our kids, and then during the summer we'll get a little cottage down by the coast"

"And a little boat?"

"And a little boat" he smiled "and we'll all be happy"

"But what if we don't all survive this war...mum and dad didn't..I know it has nothing to do with death eaters but..what if we don't all survive, they're dying and its just kind of woken me up I guess, not everyone is going to survive, so what if I don't? what if you don't? what if James doesn't? Or Lily, or Remus or Peter? What then?" she began to panic

"Hey..listen to me" said Sirius holding her teary face in his hands and directing her to look at him "We will get through this, none of us will die." he spoke softly, so softly that Eloise almost believed him "I'm not going anywhere, neither is James, none of us are. He promised you didn't he?"

"Yes but-"

"No buts" interrupted Sirius "James Potter never breaks a promise you know that"

"But there are some promises you can't keep. There's no guarantee in life other than death" she sighed "It will happen to us all, I just want to live our lives properly"

"And we will" assured Sirius "I promise you"

"Don't" she said sharply standing up and sending him a stern glare "Don't make a promise you don't know that you can keep, you don't know if we will die, none of us do!" she exclaimed growing impatient "We could all drop dead at any moment, or be murdered, or we could be kidnapped or tortured fo-"

"Don't talk like that" Sirius scolded him too growing angry as he stood up facing her with a glare

"Why not? Because you know that it's true?"

"No because it's not!" denied Sirius trying to drown out Eloise's words, each syllable hitting him like a wet slap in the face.

"But it is!" exclaimed a red faced Eloise "It is and you know it. You're in denial, we all were, but now things are getting real, we're in our seventh year we have months left, we can't just ignore the headlines on the papers anymore as if they're not there, we can't pretend everything is fine and people aren't being murdered because they are Sirius, they are. And it could be any one of us next." she breathed "Stop being naive and denying what you know is true, we can't live in a lie anymore, we can't sit back and live in the little bubble of hope and joy what we call Hogwarts because now it's about to pop. And you know we won't be able to have the life we want for a long time, if we get it at all, anything can happened so you have to be prepared for the worst more so than the best" she panted the couple glaring at each other red faced, Sirius' glare faltered however as Eloise legs bucked underneath her and she fell into hysterical sobs. He rushed over pulling her into his arms as she sobbed. 

"Shh...it's okay" he comforted stroking her hair 

"I'm just so scared" she sobbed "I can't lose you, I can't lose anyone else, especially not James, please don't let me lose James" she begged her sobs so loud and heart wrenching, that they had woken up James Potter, seeing the necklace round his neck glowing a dull grey. He shot up and darted to the common room seeing his sister sobbing in Sirius' arms.

"El?" He spoke gently and hesitantly 

"Don't leave me James" she begged throwing herself into his arms "I can't lose you to please don't leave me"

"Hey, hey hey.." he said gently "I'm not going anywhere"

"B-but what if something happens- when we leave..and- and"

"Nothing is going to happen to me okay?" he soothed hugging her tightly "I'm not going anywhere" he repeated

"But what if you do? What if-"

"He won't" said Sirius "I'll make sure of it"

"Yeah see" smiled James "Padfoot will protect me"

"Always?"

"Always" smiled James "I promise you El, I'll never leave you, you know why?"

"Because we were born together so-"

"We will grow old and grey together" James finished with her in unison. "But you have to promise you won't leave me too"

"I promise" she nodded "I love you"

"I love you too" he whispered 

"I'm so scared James- so, so scared"

"We all are"