Mason McKinnon

a/n- cant remember if I named Marlenes brother so Mason it is. 

WARNING: VERY BRIEF HOMOPHOBIA

The Potters, Blacks and Longbottom's were due to go into hiding within the next week

The Potters, Blacks and Longbottom's were due to go into hiding within the next week. A solemn mood was cast over the order as it seems as though Voldemort had resumed with his attacks once again. Only this time, his anger was clear. the attacks were less thought out, more spontaneous. There were no more specifications and targets. But now it was just unfortunate if you happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

And for Marlene McKinnon. That wrong place happened to be her family home. 

It was a humid evening, when it happened. Marlene had gone to visit her parents and younger brother for the weekend. For the past few weeks she had been away on a mission for the order leaving behind false tracks for Death Eaters to follow. Unfortunately for her. They caught on.

The day was drawing to a close and Marlene was sat in her brothers room reading him a bed time story. The ten year old boy beyond excited to start his time at Hogwarts within the next year. "Marley" spoke Mason as his sister shut the Tales Of The Beedle and The Bard. 

"Yeah?" asked Marlene softly as she heard her parents chatting downstairs tiredly. 

"I hope I'm just like you when I grow up" he yawned nuzzling his face into his pillow as she smiled sadly stroking his hair gently in a comforting manner. And with a sigh she said. 

"No. be better than me" she said shaking her head. 

"Why?" squeaked the young boy tiredly "I want friends like you have. Like Mia, and Alice, and Lily, and El-" 

Marlene's expression saddened at the thought of her now ex-friends. "I hope you have friends like them too. But" she began drifting off into thought, as she thought over the way she treated El and everything she had said, yet not once had she apologised like she truly meant it. Sure she said sorry, and she really did mean it. But then she would say or do something else that would contradict her apology. Her actions spoke louder than her words and how she hoped one day she could undo it all and fix the bridges she had burned. "You don't want to be like me." she whispered gently "Be better than me, be like them. I wasn't a good friend, I wasn't a nice person. I haven't been kind, and you should always be kind Mason, no matter what the circumstances are. I hope you learn from my mistakes, and you don't make the same ones as I did."

"I love you Marley" he sniffed tiredly cuddling into his pillow. Marlene smiled fondly at her little brother kissing his temple gently as she waved her wand switching off the lamp on his bedside table. 

"I love you too, Mason" she whispered standing in the doorway now. "Now go to sleep and when you wake up, how about we make a cake? The muggle way"

"Okay" he smiled "Night night"

"Night night" she echoed back closing the door with a smile on her face, making her way back down the stairs for a glass of water before bed. She passed her father on the way who grinned at her. 

"Is he asleep?"

"yeah dad" she nodded gently filling her glass up with a quick spell. 

"I don't know how you do it" he sighed with a smile on his face "You'd make a fantastic mother one day"

"Thanks pa" she smiled sadly thinking back to her friends who now had children of her own. "Maybe one day..I'll adopt"

"Yeah" he nodded "When are we going to meet that new girlfriend of yours anyway lovey? Your mother can't wait any longer" he chuckled 

"Next Saturday dad" she smiled "I reckon you'll love her"

"What did you say her name was?"

"Kate" she answered placing her now empty glass on the side. 

"I can't wait" he smiled at her pecking her forehead "now off you go. up to bed" he ushered making her laugh. 

"Night dad" she giggled making a move to go back up the stairs. Everything was calm, and quiet. The McKinnon's ready to have another good nights sleep, the lights were ready to be turned out. And everyone could relax. 

The peace and tranquility of the household however was cut in the blind of an eye as Marlene shut her door and the sound of spells being thrown around and her mothers panicked screams filled the air. Marlene bolted out of her room her wand in hand standing at the top of the stairs as she looked down and saw her mother who held a mortified expression on her face as she stared at the dead body of her husband a group of death eaters around him. The sound of her scream alerting the murderers who soon shot another jet of green light hitting Marlenes mother square in the chest. 

Marlene's heart was beating rapidly as she began to panic rushing into her brothers room and doing all she could to block the door. The sound of the death eaters ransacking her house and ramming on her brothers door filling her ears. "Mason." she whispered shaking him teary eyed "Mason wake up love" she said as he frowned tiredly 

"What?"

"We have to go"

"Go where? where's mummy and daddy?"

"Mum and dad can't come darling" she said noticing how the dresser she had blocked the door with was beginning to move and the wooden door beginning to break "We have to go quickly." she ushered pulling him into her arms and moving to escape through the window

"Marley! My teddy!" he said pointing at the bear he dropped 

"We don't have time Mason" she said breathing heavily. "Come on"

"No not without my bear" he said determinedly wiggling out of her grip as she took one look at the door and her little brother who now had the stuffed toy in his hands. The mask of the death eater could be seen clearly through the large hole now in the door. 

"They're in here" came a gruff voice that Marlene recognised. It was a voice that made her blood run cold. She never really believed it when they said he had become one of them. 

"Please" Marlene begged shielding her little brother who was crying spurring out apologies "Please, leave him alone. Do what you want to me but please not him" she cried as the death eater removed his mask, revealing a face Marlene knew all too well.

"Awh" he taunted "Now where's the fun in that?" he said raising his wand pointing it at the crying little boy "Avada Kedavra" 

"Mason!" screamed Marlene in a panic as her little brothers bright blue eyes, usually filled with joy, stared back up at her lifelessly, his favourite teddy clutched in his hand. 

"Awh what a shame" said the man sarcastically "Guess my hand slipped, no worries" he grinned "One less dyke and mudblood sympathiser in the word eh?" he spat as Marlene sobbed hugging her brothers dead body into her chest. 

"Fuck you" she spat

"I'll pass thanks" he grinned sadistically "You're boring me now." He sighed as she sobbed  "I'm really sorry about this" said the man insincerely "Avada Kedavra" he said before apparating away as one more spell was cast over the small home of the McKinnon's.

"Morsemorde"

That was all it took. Two words. And Marlene McKinnon was dead. Staring lifelessly at the ceiling cradling her little brother in her arms the dark mark cast over the house, glaring at anyone who looked at that damned mark of death, murder and torture.