A stag pt2

Eloise cradled her baby boy in her arms humming a sweet little tune to him as he drifted in and out of consciousness

Eloise cradled her baby boy in her arms humming a sweet little tune to him as he drifted in and out of consciousness. The full moon beaming down through the window as it peeked through trees and Eloise couldn't help but wonder how Remus was doing, was James with him? Was Sirius? Peter? She could only wonder what they were up to. It had been a while since she had left and she missed her brother more and more as the days went on. After some time Eloise had come to term with the fact that the fate of at least one of her babies was an untimely death, but her main goal was to keep that as far at bay as she possibly could. 

After a few short minutes the quiet snores of monty were all that could be heard throughout the small home that they were currently situated in. Eloise placed the child gently into his crib next to his sister who slept peacefully as drool ran down her chin. 

The night was calm, blissful even. It felt as if it was the first time in months Eloise could truly say she felt stress free, no worries of her brother, her husband, her friends. None at all. With Ophelia and herself hearing nothing more of Voldemort's plans she felt no reason to worry. She was truly at ease. Of course she knew that this would be short lived and it was only a matter of time before someone or something disrupted this pleasantness. 

Oh if only she knew what was to happen in just a few hours. Oh if only she knew that her darling brother wouldn't see November 1st. Oh if only she knew her husband was to go to Azkaban for a crime he did not commit in less than 24 hours. Oh if she knew one of her dearest friends would betray her only brother. If only she knew Remus would be alone for a further twelve years with the cruel torturous belief that one of his brothers betrayed them all with an unforgivable act. Because if she knew, maybe she could have done something to prevent it. Maybe she would be able to go home to her brother. Maybe he wouldn't be dead.

The house was quiet when it happened. Ophelia and Eloise sat laughing jovially together in front of the warm fire not noticing the glaring flashes of red radiating from a certain necklace tucked away in a drawer in the room at the end of the hallway. The girls laughed carelessly together planning exactly what they would do when they returned to England. "Oh I bet you can't wait to see Sirius again" cried Ophelia

"Oh I can't." Eloise nodded in agreement "I miss him so much."

"You have no idea how lucky you are" smiled Ophelia "I'd do anything to see Reg again. Even just to say goodbye one last time." said the girl sadly. 

"He really loved you, you know?" said Eloise fondly thinking back to her late friend. "Honestly. I know you think he 'loved me more' but he didn't." promised the woman. "You see, the difference between you and I ophelia is I was a crush. His first 'love' if you will. He loved me yes but he wasn't IN love with me the way that he was with you."

"What?"

"I knew him better than he knew himself" smiled Eloise "And he was always afraid of change. Terrified even. He loathed the concept of change, so when you came along and messed up his plans by making him fall in love it threw him off a bit. Tried to convince himself it wasn't the same. You'll understand one day. But not yet."

"I-" Ophelia cut herself off still confused as to what Eloise was talking about especially after learning of his letter. "Nevermind" dismissed the girl "What about James?"

As if the name were tabooed before Eloise could answer there was a knock on the door. "Who on earth could be here at this time of night?"

"And Halloween n all" frowned Ophelia "In the middle of a forest?"

Eloise gripped her wand cautiously approaching the door and opening it only to be met with the sad, heartbroken, devastated even, face of Minerva McGonagall. "Minnie?" frowned Eloise "What's wrong?"

"Mrs Black, Miss Riddle" sniffed the woman "It is with a heavy heart that I have come to inform you that earlier this evening there was an attack in Godrics Hollow." she spoke pausing momentarily Eloises heart dropping and her mind swimming with dread. "The Dark Lord has fallen." informed the woman. 

"At what cost?" whispered Eloise in fear "Who's lives did it cost Minnie?"

"James and Lily Potter" that was it. Eloises world came crumbling down as she screamed out a broken 'no'. Ophelia let out a cry of her own as she watched her friends world decay. 

"No, no they can't be!" panicked the girl "Please. There's no way! no!"

"I'm sorry Eloise" said McGonagall 

"How?" she whispered in pain "How did he find them?"

"They were betrayed"

"Betrayed?" frowned Eloise "Betrayed by who?" she frowned as McGonagall hesitated her answer "Tell me."

"Sirius Black."

"No." she breathed "No. no. no he wouldn't" 

"He sold them to Voldemort and then killed Pettigrew alongside twelve muggles. He is on his way to Azkaban as we speak"

"Peter?" she whispered in disbelief "No. He wouldn't. Sirius wouldn't. My husband wouldn't!" 

"He changed after you left Eloise"

"So now this is my fault?" asked Eloise in pain "No. Not James. Not my brother." she cried in pain feeling as if her heartstrings were being pulled at and cut repeatedly. "Not my Jamesie" she sniffled tears cascading down her face. "Tell me this is all some kind of sick joke. Some kind of elaborate prank you're playing, you know to get us back for Halloween at Hogwarts in first year? Thats all this is right Minnie? A prank? I won't be mad I promise. Just- just tell me he's not dead. She's not dead."

"I'm sorry." said the older woman solemnly "but I cannot"

"And what of the boy?" asked Ophelia in concern "What of Harry?"

"The boy is to stay with his aunt and uncle Dursley" 

"What?" asked Eloise in outrage and pain "You're sending him to live with those- those- creatures? Let him live with us! Please! I beg of you! I-"

"Dumbledore believes that it is within Harry's best interests that the boy lives with his muggle family"

"Fuck what Dumbledore believes! They hate our kind! They are cruel cruel people. There must be something you can do- anything I-"

"I'm sorry Eloise but it is mot within my authority. You are meant to be dead, and looking for a way to destroy that locket I-"

"Yeah I'm meant to be dead but I'm not am I?" said the woman with teary eyes. "Faked my death, to keep my family alive and now instead, half of em are dead, husbands in prison and my werewolf mate is howling at a moon whilst my nephew lives with some vermin." she laughed humourlessly "everything I did. I did to protect my family. But they're all dead now anyway. So what was the point? eh?"

"Mrs Black-"

"He promised he wouldn't leave." said the woman her voice cracking. "They all did. But so did i...karma really isn't it." she sniffed. "Maybe if I stayed then-" she sniffed holding back a sob "Maybe if I stayed they would still be alive."

"Maybe not." said McGonagall not wanting the girl to blame herself

"But maybe they would be." she said with teary eyes "Go on" nodded Eloise "Can see you've got elsewhere to be." McGonagall simply nodded before swiftly apparating away Ophelia approaching her friend as she broke down into sobs. "I just cant believe that he's gone Phelia" she sobbed "He's really gone." cried the woman "And Sirius?" frowned the girl in disbelief "I don't understand why would he- how could he?"

"I don't know El I truly don't know" said Ophelia hugging the girl in comfort. 

And so on October 31st 1981. Eloise Potter Black's world came crumbling down on top of her and this time there was no one to pull her out of the rubble. 

a/n- was gonna upload last chapters all together but nah. probably 2 more left maybe 1 idk.