Lily's sapphire

January 20th 1978

January 20th 1978

The twins were sat curled up on the sofa in the common room a comfortable silence between them, that neither of them broke for a while until James spoke up.

"El?" 

"Hmm?" she hummed sleepily 

"Do you think I should ask Lily to marry me?" he said making Eloise's head shoot up, and she was suddenly wide awake.

"Sorry what?"

"I said-"

"I know what you said, I'm just shocked" she said wide eyed "James you've been together for months"

"But I've been in love with her for years" he justified 

"True" nodded Eloise "But, what's brought all of this on? You're not being impulsive are you? I'm not against you asking her but this is so sudden, so random.."

"I know" sighed the messier haired twin "But, with everything between you and Sirius and mum and dad, I guess I realised we just don't have all the time in the world anymore. From families being murdered, to people getting ill anything can happen and I guess I don't want to waste anymore time, not when I've finally got her."

"Well I think you should do it" smiled Eloise in encouragement

"You do?" asked James smiling brightly 

"I do, and I think..if she says yes..you should have a nice summer wedding" she hummed dreamily 

"Ooh! and we'll have lots of pretty flowers, OH! and we can do it in the garden!"

"The garden?" laughed Eloise "How romantic" she commented sarcastically

"Well..I've never really liked the idea of a big extravagant wedding, and I mean, that way mum and dad can kind of be there..and it's just..more sentimental than some random house, besides we do have a pretty garden"

"True" shrugged Eloise "But I am not de-gnoming the garden before the ceremony, Peter can do that"

"Why Peter?"

"Because it's funny when he gets freaked out" snorted Eloise resting her head back on her brothers shoulder "Get her a silver band, with a sapphire" yawned the tired girl

"What?" frowned a confused James not understanding what his sister was talking about.

"The ring idiot, sapphires are her favourite" 

"Oh!" said James wide eyed "Thanks El"

"Love you" 

"Love you too"

---

January 15th 1978

"El!" called a breathless James as he ran down the corridor to catch up to his sister who was walking with Lily and Alice he smiled at the other two girls giving Lily a quick kiss as a greeting "Hi love" he smiled at the ginger girl "Mind if I steal my sister? No? Brilliant, see you!" James didn't give the girls a chance to say anything in response as he dragged his twin towards where the other marauders minus Peter (because he had a big mouth Remus had reasoned, despite James' original insistence he eventually gave in and they didn't tell Peter).