Chapter 40

Taehyung's POV

My mind has become completely blank. What's the use of overthinking about something when all it does is remain the same?

This is how I felt.

Completely useless to my own benefit

Nothing really changes in life.

But to be honest; I had hoped it would.

Instead; it was just my childish way of believing I could leave the things I've done in my past behind me.

Kim Seok-Jin, as I stand here before you thinking of what you told me on our way home; I've come to the conclusion that I am nothing more than a pawn for your using.

As I stand before you today; in the safe place you call your office; I now realize that you need me more than I do you.

Without me; who would play out your requests that led you to reach further than you are now.

Without me; you would have gotten nothing.

But because of one mistake I have made; one that almost cost another person their life; I am trapped in this hell hole for your cause where I feel that I am eternally indebt to you.

So tell me Jin; what is that you need from me now?

Because my life has become nothing more than me being a puppet on a string to do as others please.

"I trust you remember our previous discussion we had for later, right." Jin reminds me; as I held the gold painted Volto masquerade mask in my hands. "Both you and Jay will be wearing the same mask for the event. He will be our decoy for this plan. Whatever you feel best to do tonight; I insist you do it. We only need enough proof to end their engagement. Do you understand?" He asks and I stood there without an answer.

What should I have said?

That I refuse to do it?

That he should find someone else?

It wouldn't matter; because everything was already my fault

It was my doing in the first place. The reason Namjoon was forced into this marriage.

And because I was the one who caused this problem; it was my responsibility to fix it.

Isn't that right; Jin? At least, that is how you made it out to be.

The life of an escort is a fickle one. Especially one that was packed with task that needed to be fulfilled.

And it's so much worse when you're the one that's linked with such an unforgivable past.

You're link with actions that haunt you for the rest of your life. Actions that put a toll on your mental state, even when you're not thinking about it.