Chapter 6

"Whoa...What?! ‎₩473,060?! You can't be serious." I said; baffled at the price the technician issued me.

"I'm sorry Miss. But, that's the best we can do to get you a new screen. Also, it looks like the keyboard is a bit damaged too. So...that's going to cost you a bit more." The computer technician says looking over my laptop. "What did you even do to it? Submerge it in water?"

"Urgh...long story...., trust me. What about uh, getting back the memory from it? I have so many files that I need for school saved on my drive. Is it possible to retrieve them?"

"Hmm well I can do that. That would run you about...₩250,000 won."

"T-two-fif- ....Uh...By chance you guys do student discounts?" I plead.

"Look... I know how it can be, especially for college students; but that's the best I can do. Normally it would cost more to actually get into the software files when the hardware is this damaged. It's either that or just buy a new PC." He says pushing the laptop towards me.

"But I really need those files."

"Then you have a choice to make Miss. And hopefully soon; I have other customers waiting."

"...Okay. Please retrieve the files. I'll give you the full payment by next week." I said handing him back the laptop. "Any chance you're hiring?" I ask with aspiration.

"Can you find a short circuit in a laptop motherboard?"

"...Nope." I shake my head.

"Then no..." He answers, taking my laptop from the counter.

Taking out my wallet I sigh knowing damn well this was going to cut my budget in half. This was something I was hoping to keep from my father without having to ask him for cash.

I already told him that I got my personal expenses covered and he should focus on his job. Plus, I honestly didn't want to have to bug my brother for funds.

I needed a job and fast.

Seeing my sullen face as I hand him the deposit, the computer technician smiles leaning in closer; and by reflex I stepped back, startled.

"Hey...if you need a job, there's a coffee shop around the corner of this street called The Java Lava. That place is looking for a part timer. So if you're interested, I could put in a good word for you since I know the manager. How about it?"

"A coffee shop? I mean, wouldn't I need the experience first? I've only worked as a waitress before." I replied feeling a sense of doubt.

"No your good. They'll teach you the ropes and you will be fine. I can make the call now if you'd like?~" The technician asks shaking his cell in his hand.

I winced looking back at my wallet. There was no way I was going to turn down an opportunity to get some extra cash.

"Give the manager a call please. Tell them I'll be there in ten minutes."

_______________­­­­__________

My first week in Korea was almost coming to an end. Despite it only being a couple days, it felt like a lot more.

Arriving home from my job interview at The Java Lava; I was feeling tired but also satisfied. I now had a job!

Regardless of how many reports I made to the administrators office and the countless times my meeting with the Dean was postponed; I was left with a letter stating in two weeks I will be reimburse for my laptop. In the end, I had to take matters into my own hands for the time being.

"Wah... Soojin's father must really spoil her." I say under my breath as I exit pass the elevator doors.

Greeting a fellow tenant as they entered the lift I stepped out from, I suddenly became noticeable of something when my eyes caught glimpse of the Kim's apartment door.