Chapter 28

The evening breeze was cool and calm as our community park was filled with visitors and their young ones. The sound of giggles and laughter from children within the neighborhood, made me somewhat feel at ease as I walk along with Namjoon on the brick stone paved pathway.

I would never imagine that a car ride with him could have been so awkward. Obviously we both had a lot to say. But the only problem was; who would be brave enough to start first.

"Are you hungry?" I hear him ask; as we slowly stepped together along the trail.

"No, not really." I shake my head in response.

"Then...are you thirsty? We could stop by a con-

"Namjoon..." I cut him off; stopping in my tracks as he turns around to look at me. I knew what was happening, and I decided it would be best not to avoid this conversation for much longer. "...The truth is; I only agreed to meet you because I need to return something."

Nervously rummaging inside my hand bag; I pull out the gift that Namjoon had given me on his birth night.

"I've been carrying this around with me ever since the night of your birthday party." I stated; discreetly handing it over. "I wanted to be able to return this to you in person. However, I never found the courage to call you to do so sooner. And despite all circumstances for you to be here with me right now..., I'm thankful that you came so that I'm able give this back."

Carefully placing the bracelet in the palm of his right as I covered it with mine; Namjoon swiftly grabs a hold of my wrist pulling me closer.

Easily towering over me with his broad shoulders and height; he leans in forward, so I would be able look into his eyes.

"Why? ...Why are you doing this? I told you that the marriage was arranged." He says; gripping me firmly. "...I can't take this back. I gave it to you for a reason."

"And that reason is now none existent."

"Y/N, I bought this bracelet for you. When I picked it out; you were the person I had in mind."

"Namjoon..."

"No, there is no way I'm taking it back. If I do, then I know exactly what that means."

"But I can't keep it! It just doesn't feel right. Seeing it every day doesn't feel right! You are promised to another woman...., I can't change what your parents want for you."

"But what about what I want?!" he expressed in frustration; hanging his head in despair. "I've lived my whole life trying to please my parents; it's something that has become a norm for me. Every.single.thing they've asked of me to do; I did, with no complaints. But, ...this one thing I wanted for me; just to have the freedom to be with someone, that I've found myself caring about more and more each day. And still..." Namjoon continues; pulling his mask down so he could speak more clearly.

But as he did so; I could see a faint mark on his cheek that showed slight bruising.

"Wait, Namjoon...what happened to your face?" I ask; reaching for his jaw.

"It's nothing, It's just a bruise." He turns away; shifting my hand from his face.

"Just a bruise? It even looks a bit swollen. ...Did you end up in a fight? Who did this to you!?"

"...My father." He reveals and I stood their disbelief.

"...What!? You're joking, right? Your father hit you!? Why would he do such a thing?"