Chapter 2.

T W O
-imagination-

When the friday neared, Louis' nervousness only increased. That whole week he had been contemplating canceling the game, what would the consequences be? He didn't like false hopes.

Hope, something he's had a lot.

The thing for Louis was, at some point he lost hope. Always feeling that things are going to be okay can become dangerous. Eventually he didn't believe it anymore. Every time he kept feeling that something was going to get better and he was always proven otherwise, at some point he simply no longer believed that things would get better, that's why he didn't want to get used to good things. Good things, he saw as dangerous ones.

Scarlett - his new foster mother - was making lunch in the kitchen, while Dan - his new foster father - was getting ready for work. Louis made sure he'd put some of his books in his bag, so he could put some in his locker. He hadn't really talked to Scarlett and Dan since he got here. They only exchanged words, like: 'Hi' or 'how was your day?' And he'd answer: 'Fine'. Louis wasn't really up for talking yet, or not ever.

He slowly walked to the kitchen, where Scarlett was at. She stood with her back to him, so she hadn't seen him yet. She was making lunch he noticed, probably for Dan, who was heading to his work. "I ermm . . . ,' Louis stumbled playing with his fingers. Scarlett turned around and looked at him with a sincere smile. At least, it seemed to be. That was probably the first time Louis really said something to her, out of his own will. "Is it okay if I go to a game, tonight?" He asked, pressing his lips together after.

"Sure, great! It's nice you made some friends here. What time will you be home?" She asked and let her knife rest on the kitchen counter.

Louis shuffled his hands awkwardly in his pockets. "I don't know, the game starts at 9."

She nodded. "Shall I bring you there?"

"No, someone will pick me up." She nodded as her pink painted lips were formed in a smile.

Dan came walking in the kitchen with a bright smile on his face. "What's going on?"

"Well, Louis made some friends and is going to a game tonight." Scarlett said happily.

"That's great! What kind of game?" He asked Louis, while Louis just stood uncomfortable against the kitchen counter.

"Basketball."

"Cool! It's a nice sport, really fun too,' he said.

"You've played it?" Louis asked as if he couldn't believe it, with widened eyes.

"Yeah, I have."

"What was it like? How was it like being in a team? Run with each other? Playing the game?" Louis asked enthusiastically and curiously.

Dan smiled in pity. "Close your eyes,' he just said.

Louis closed his eyes in confusion, but as Dan started to speak, Louis felt like he was there. Like he was him. Like he was a player on the team.

"There's a lot of shouting and cheering, and that's the moment you and your team look at each other, nodding. This is the moment you have to go. You open the doors of the hall, and run with the team on the field. You hear cheering and applauding, all for you and the team. You wave to the crowd, with a big smile on your face, as the cheerleaders finish their dance. After they do, the opponents start running on the field. You laugh slightly, because you know you're going to defeat them. Although, there are a lot of tall guys on the team. It's not about winning though, you just want to play and have fun. Even though it's always nice to win with the team, having the competitive feeling — because you'll win with each other, as a team. You take your position and as the zoomer goes off, the game begins. The person who's got the ball on your team, passes it to you and a small smile escapes your lips. The cheering of the crowd gives you adrenaline. You make some moves, and you pass a tall guy from the other team. He may be tall, but because of your smallness and your speed, you pass him by. The cheering starts to get louder and you know this has to be the moment. You make some moves and share some glares with the people on your team. They look at you with the look on their face which says: you got this. You take one deep sigh and then: you start running, bouncing the ball in front of you. Skillfully, you pass by some guys and as the last seconds of the game are on, while bouncing the ball, you take a quick glare at the scoreboard which says: 76-76. You take one deep sigh and then jump in the air and throw the ball. As the ball is in the air, the zoomer goes off. The crowd is quiet, in nervousness, just like everyone. Everyone starts hollering and cheering as the ball makes its way through the hoop. All of the players on your team start to run over to you and they tackle you in a group hug. They lift you up in the air and throw your body up and down in pure happiness. You won, you and the team has won."