Chapter 54.

F I F T Y  F O U R
-lies against the truth-

Back in the courtroom, Louis sat in the front row of the wooden benches. He needed to sit in the middle seat on his own. He had asked the lawyer if he could sit with Scarlett and Dan, but the lawyer said that could influence the situation, and that could lead to a corrupt final decision. So he sat alone in the front, being intimidated by the large construction of wood where the lawyer stood in a flawless suit.

Dan and Scarlett sat two rows behind him on his left and Jaden and David sat two rows behind him on his right. They were both fancy dressed, David in an expensive suit and Scarlett in a red slim dress. Harry and Juliet were far behind him on the left side of the room and even David and Jaden had some people who worked for them in the back.

Harry could just see how nervous Louis was by the way he crossed and uncrossed his ankles and couldn't decide where to place his hands. Gemma sat in the front, basically next to the lawyer. There was no witness box, she just sat on a chair next to the judge on the wooden construction. Mister Springwood took his time in rising to question her. He was a tall man, and he looked nothing like Juliet. The only thing that reminded Louis of Juliet was his smile which he had seen before, but he hadn't smiled in the courtroom yet.

"Now, Mrs. Styles," he eventually started, setting the pen down at his table. "How long have you been working for Mr. and Mrs. Campbell now?"

Gemma cleared her throat, being nervous herself as so much depended on her answers. "Three years," she croaked.

Mr. Springwood nodded. "How did you get there?"

She gave a quick glance to Jaden and David, as they both didn't know she actually was at Louis' side. But she didn't really have a chance there to choose sides, since all she had to do was answer the questions truthfully. "They were searching for maids to run the house, and I was quite interested, because it really seemed nice. I sollicated, and I got chosen."

"And could you tell me a bit about the place? Are there enough schools? Enough places to go to?" Gemma folded uncomfortably with the soft hammock of her skirt.

"Yes," she murmured, "It's just outside of the city, so everything is quite near. Enough schools in the area."

Mr. Springwood nodded, taking a breath before asking further. "What about the house? Is there enough place for a person to live?"

She nodded slowly again, her cheeks heated up as she glared shortly at Louis. "It's a villa, we live there with 6 maids, David and Jaden and there are still 9 empty rooms apart from Louis' bedroom."

Mr. Springwood grabbed the pen and noted something on the piece of paper as the courtroom was just dead silent. "Could you tell me about your bond with David and Jaden?" He asked as he laid down the pen again.

"I've known them for three years now, and they're quite focussed on their jobs, so not home a lot." She carefully said, ready to spill everything even if that would mean losing her job. She got offered money by Jaden and David to give answers in their benefit, but she just didn't take it and said she wouldn't choose sides, and just answer everything truthfully. She knew she had a lot to make up for after lying to Louis and about the fact she got money to befriend him. But truth be told, she really liked him as a friend, and she even gave the money back after Louis left.

"What value do you mean they're not home a lot?"

She shrugged slightly, feeling very warm and nervous by all the questions. "I hardly see them, sometimes they're home around 10, but usually they stay at work."

"And on the weekends?"

"On the weekends too." She swallowed.

"Louis has lived with you for three months now, am I right?" She nodded. "How have you experienced his change in behaviour?"