Chapter 21.

T W E N T Y O N E
-the start of the connection-

It was Friday when he walked towards the house again. He had finished his last period, and took the 30 minute drive on the bus. Both Scarlett and Dan were home, so he said hi, before walking up the stairs. His relationship with them had increased a lot throughout that week. Mostly after his little talk with Dan. It was not like he was already opening up for them, but he talked a bit more than usual. Most of the things were still the same though. Louis mostly was upstairs, in "his" room, but he talked a bit more at dinner. It was still awkward for him, but perhaps a little less. He no longer dreaded having dinner with them, for example. It lightened his mood a little, Juliet noticed. She asked about it. He just answered he got an A for English, which wasn't the reason for his good mood, but Louis was a good liar. He actually felt like this might be a place for somewhat longer than 2 months. Maybe just a little, but that was okay for then. Three or four months, perhaps. He still knew Scarlett and Dan would eventually grow tired of him, and he kept that in mind.

Just so he wouldn't break again.

He dropped his school books on the desk, and sat down on the chair. He looked out the window, looking at the the blue sky. The weather was quite nice, a soft breeze, with a lot of sun. Then a loud noise grabbed his attention. His eyes went to the direction of the sound — the window of the neighbors, the house of Zayn. He knew the room of the window belonged to Rose. Louis knew he shouldn't look, but he was too curious. The house was about 30 meters away from where he sat, but his eyes were quite good, so he saw everything clear. The sound was a bit dempend, but he could make out what they were saying — yelling, more likely. He had eyes on two adults, a woman and a man. He figured it would be the parents of Zayn and Rose.

They both looked a lot like Zayn.

The man threw the door shut. "You have no right to be here, Patricia,' he yelled, pointing his index finger at her. "I do! That is my son too,' she yelled back, clearly furious. "He lives here, so you go back to your fucked up garbage and don't ever come back." Louis quietly took place in the windowsill, still listening and watching at what was happening in the other house. "I want my boy back!" "You will never!" "I'm going to find him,' she then said, walking towards the door. However, the man grabbed her wrist, then pushed her against the wall. He said something, but Louis couldn't make out what he was saying. He did see how the man put his body against hers, the woman squeezing her eyes shut, obviously crying. Then the door flew open.

Zayn.

He looked at both the people in the room. The woman pressed against the wall, the man's body covering her. "Mom?" Zayn said. He then laid eyes on her. "Get fucking off her!" He yelled, pushing the man off apparently his mother. "Mom, are you okay?" He asked, while stroking his mother's cheek. His mother didn't get the chance to answer, as Zayn himself got pinned against the wall by the man. "I am your father, Zayn! She's nothing more than a piece of garbage, she can't even give you a home! You live here!" "I'd rather live with mom! But I didn't get to choose!" "Don't be that ungrateful with me kid! We gave you a new life with a new sister! You'd rather leave her alone!?"
Zayn's face turned red with rage. "You know the answer to that question, fucking-" The father tightened his grip around Zayn, making him almost choke. "Leave him alone! Leave him alone!" The woman yelled hysterically, but the man hit her, making her quiet, holding her hand against her burning cheek. Eventually the man let Zayn go, making him finally breathe again, he coughed a few times, holding his throat. Then he stood up again, body shaking, looking up.

He locked eyes with Louis.

For once Louis saw another side of Zayn. He was weak, and scared. They both just stared at each other. But that weak Zayn soon disappeared. He looked furious, a strong gaze. He pointed outside, and Louis knew what he meant. He wanted to talk to him. At least, he hoped so. He didn't want another fight. Not in front of his new place. Louis stood up from the windowsill, walking downstairs. "Hi Louis, you want to-" "I'll be right back,' he interrupted Scarlett. She smiled. "Okay." Louis walked outside, meeting Zayn on the streets.