Chapter 65.

(Please don't mind this drawing lmao, I had no time, and wanted to be on time with the update, I maaay redo it later)

S I X T Y  F I V E
-"do you love me?"-

The bell rang loudly through the classroom. They were in English class, a Friday. He had stayed home for three days to rest. Not because he wanted to, but because the doctor said he needed to. He only followed his advice, because Scarlett and Dan wanted him to rest. Tuesday, Dan stayed home—Wednesday Scarlett stayed home—and Thursday, they both stayed. They just wanted him to be safe, and to make sure nothing would happen. They had been so gentle with him. Caring for him.

Even though they made it seem like it would be alright, he heard them talk Thursday evening. They had already said their good night to Louis, and when they thought he was already asleep, he was sitting on the windowsill, watching his bright star. "I don't understand mom," he had whispered, "why can't I just be happy?" He had a lot of questions. Questions that couldn't be answered.

But when he was watching out the window, he silently heard Scarlett and Dan talk downstairs. Louis knew he shouldn't listen to what they were saying, but he was a curious and stubborn person. He wished he hadn't heard them. He wished he hadn't listened. Because hearing them talk about him, made him realise that once he left earth, they would be the ones having to deal with grief.

"I can't lose him, I don't know how I could ever be the same," Scarlett had said. "The house will be so empty without him."

But he also heard phrases like: "We won't lose this. There's hope." They were crying. But he cried along. Silently, from inside his room, curled up in himself.

"Why me," he kept repeating.

He was talking to Harry, about to leave the classroom, when suddenly Mr Adams cleared his throat. "Louis, could I talk to you?" They were the last to leave the classroom, so it was quiet then, as the door fell shut. "I see you're at school again, how are you? I haven't talked to you since—"

"—Harry, could you wait outside please? I'll be back in a few," Louis quickly interrupted, resting his hand gently on Harry's wrist.

"Sure," he said hesitantly, nodding slowly.

When the door fell shut, Mr. Adams' eyebrows were knitted together. He pointed to the door, clearing his throat gently. "He doesn't know, does he?" He said, "about what happened."

Louis leaned against the front desk, crossing his arms. "No, he doesn't," he sighed, "but please don't tell him. Don't tell anyone." His eyes flicked up to him.

Mr Adams leaned against the desk across from him. He crossed his arms as well, his eyebrows still in a frown. "Of course, I would never tell anyone. But why didn't you tell him?"

"I don't need to tell you anything right? You're just my English teacher." He didn't mean to make it sound like an attack, it was just meant as defense.

"Of course," Mr. Adams nodded. It stayed silent for a few long seconds. They just stood across from each other. Louis faced down, having his hands clasped together. Then he breathed out, stroking his hand through his hair once. 

"Do you think I made a mistake? Should I have told him?"

Mr. Adams let out a breath, and formed his lips into a line after. He rested his hand to the table he was leaning against. "There isn't a right answer to that. I think the most important thing is that you're okay with sharing these things with one another. But, Harry cares about you, Louis, everybody can see that." Louis scoffed, laying his hand awkwardly in his neck, rubbing his skin. "I know, I know, I'm a teacher, you're embarrassed now." He chuckled slightly. Both of them did.