Chapter 80

We pull up to his parents house and it's absolutely breathtaking. Eli has been rubbing small circles with his thumb on my thigh. He's been reassuring me the entire car ride that everything is going to be fine. We pull up to the top of the driveway. Eli gets out and walks around to open my door and grabs my hand and tosses his keys to the valet. I take a deep breath. This is way over my head.
Eli puts his hand on the small of my back and guides me up the steps to the large oak doors. Eli stops and looks at me and says "you look stunning, babe. Tonight will be perfect." And kisses my cheek and close my eyes as he does. I whisper thank you and that I love him.
We walk in and the entire house is immaculate. The decorations are beautiful. There's not a detail missed. I'm in awe of it. Eli lets out a chuckle and I look at him and roll my eyes and laugh. Maybe tonight won't be so bad after all.
Gracie must have been waiting on us because she rushed over and hugged me. Following in suit behind her was Ruby and Kenzie... I don't feel comfortable that she's here, but I'm not going to worry. That's what I have to keep telling myself... don't worry. Gracie interrupts my thinking and says "finally you're here! It's been so lame."
I nervously laugh and Eli interjects and says "yeah, we're going to walk through and find mom and dad." And we walk away.
I broke the silence first and stated uneasily "I didn't know Kenzie was going to be here."
Eli stopped walking and turned and faced me and pinched the bridge of his nose. On a sigh he says "Em, you had to think she was going to be here. She's been friends of the family for a long time." I just look at him a little dumbfounded by his lack of sensitivity. My eyes dart back and forth trying to search his eyes for comfort and don't get anything. I simply replied with a quivering voice "forget I said anything..." and start walking again. I hear Eli let out a sigh, but not say anything.
Maybe I'm just worrying too much.
Eli has introduced me to countless people that I've already forgotten their names. As we go to walk to the next couple Eli knows, my phone starts ringing. I hurriedly go through my purse to silence my phone. I glance at caller ID and it's Annie which is super odd because we haven't talked to each other in a month. I look at Eli and show him and he told me to take it. I let him know I'll be right back and head outside and press the accept call button.
"Annie?"
She's frantic and a rush to her voice.
"Oh my gosh Emma I think I messed up! Please, know I didn't do it on purpose!" She's talking a million miles an hour.
"Woah, slow down Annie. Take a deep breath and tell me what you did."
I hear her take a few deep breaths before going on.
"I... I got a call from Celeste last night."
"So?"
"She, she was asking about you and how you were and what you do now."
"Okay, what's the big deal? It's Celeste."
"Well, that's what I thought at first. But I hadn't heard from Celeste in months and she never asked about you ever."
"I'm not following, Annie."
"I decided to look into it further. I went on her Facebook page and Instagram and..." she stops talking.
"Annie, please go on. I am at a gala with Eli and I'm being rude by not being inside."
"I didn't know Ryan was out of jail and dating her. I told her where you live and everything. I'm so sorry! I didn't know."
I gasped and feel my heart start racing and almost like I can't breathe. My eyes start to well up with tears but I'm not letting them spill over.
"Emma please say something..."
I couldn't even find the words to speak... I just ended the call. I needed to find Eli. I'm so scared. I was the reason that Ryan went to jail. I rush back inside and found Gracie.
"Hey Gracie, have you seen Eli?"
She smiles and said "I think he went to the grand room. It's closed off from guests, but he goes there at these things to escape the chaos. Go straight through the dining area and it's the second room on the left."
I thank her and start for the room.
When I finally get there I open the door and instantly say "Eli, I..." and immediately stop talking and tears start to brim the edges of my eyes. He was kissing Kenzie. My stomach is in my throat. He pulled away. "Emma, please let me explain! It's not what it looks like." And comes toward me and I back away and say "stay the hell away from me. I hate you." And glance over to Kenzie who has a look of success on her face.
Eli tried to come to me and I back away and tell him again "stay away from me."
And leave. I am walking so fast through the crowd of people and I hear Eli call my name rush over to me and cut in front of me and put his hands on my shoulders "Emma you need to listen to me, please..." I push him off me and call him a jerk. And continue on my journey toward the front doors. Once I'm outside I see Ruby and ask her to give me a ride. And she instantly agrees without hesitation and gets her car and takes me back to the apartment.
My phone is blowing up with phone calls from Eli. How could he do this to me? To our babies? I shouldn't have moved here. I have no one. I'm so alone. I sink further into the passenger seat and silently cry. Ruby keeps asking if I want to talk about it and I tell her no.
She drops me off outside and I get out and rush to the room. I get my key out of my purse and unlock the door. I needed to get my stuff and leave. I could figure out something and make it. Just like I always have before. On my own. As I make my way inside I come face to face with someone I least expected... Ryan.