Chapter 68

The sound of the alarm made me jump. In return, Eli jumped. "Good morning, beautiful."
I smile. "Good morning."
He takes me face in his hands and kisses me. Painfully slow. I try to deepen the kiss, but he pulls away.
"I've got to get ready for this meeting, baby. Stay in bed and rest." He kisses me again and untangles himself from the sheets.
I wait a few minutes after he leaves the room and I hear the shower come on. I decide to join him. I slip in the door and step in the shower and kiss his shoulder. He sighs and turns around. "Baby, why are you up? It's only 5AM."
I shrug my shoulders and sigh. He kisses my forehead. "Baby, please go back to bed and rest. You need some sleep."
I look at him but can hardly keep my eyes focused. I can't make eye contact with him. My feelings are hurt. Stupid hormones. I nod my head and step out of the shower and go back to our room. I put on one of Eli's shirts and get back into bed. I'm on his side and with my back facing the door. Slowly a tear comes out and I wipe it away quickly. I have never been so emotional in my life. I hope throughout my pregnancy it won't be like this all the time. I hear the water shut off and I stay quiet and still. I don't acknowledge hearing his footsteps entering the room.
I hear him sigh. He leans on the bed and says "I know you're awake, Em." And he is right near my ear and he says it. My breath hitches. He kisses my cheek. And gets off the bed to finish getting ready. I roll over and see he's only his trousers looking in the closet for a shirt to wear.
I remain silent until a wave of nausea rushes through me. I throw the covers off and bolt down the hallways to the bathroom. Fearful of not making it in time. Eli hurriedly follows behind me. He holds my hair back for me. I flush the toilet and wash my hands before brushing my teeth. Eli is still behind me. I turn around and say "thank you" softly and kiss his cheek. I go to walk back into the bedroom and he grabs my hand and pulls me back to him and into a hug. He kisses my head. I hold onto him tight. He backs away a little just so he can tilt my chin up so he can kiss me. He tries to make it soft and slow, but I deepen it. He doesn't stop me this time and lifts me up onto the bathroom counter. So much passion and love between us in this moment.
I put my hands in his hair and his phone rings, interrupting us. He pulls away and goes to the bedroom to get it.
I let myself off the counter and walk back into the bedroom hearing the end of his conversation. "Yeah, got it." And hangs up. His mood did a complete 180. He's mad.
I chime in and say "who was that?"
He answers in a very monotone voice "my dad." I don't press for more. I just nod my head.
"I gotta go. I don't know how long the meeting will be, but I'm sure he'll have me work the whole day. Call Gracie if you want to find something to do." I nod my head and look away. He's being very dry.
He sighs and says "I'm sorry. My dad just gets me worked up. I'll call you. I love you." And kisses my forehead and walks out the door.