66| Turning Point

- Everything is falling appart
according to plan -

The microscopic town of Rachel was unincorporated, and the first baby born there had given the place its name

The microscopic town of Rachel was unincorporated, and the first baby born there had given the place its name. Looking at it from afar, they could see small dwellings sprouting from the sand in the middle of the Great Basin Desert, alongside the Nevada Highway 375, renamed the Extraterrestrial Highway by alien enthusiasts. Several unpaved roads near Rachel went from the highway to the boundary of Area 51, and it is on one of them that Ms. Min led the tank to safety. The town's center was composed of a small tourist shop, a 12-room motel, and an alien-themed restaurant and bar, the little A'Le'Inn, which changed into a brothel at night.

"A'Le'Inn, you get it! For alien! That's brilliant!" exclaimed Jin as he got out of the tank.

"Please, shut up," groaned Ms. Min behind him.

They didn't have any time to lose and needed to find vehicles to leave this place fast, or they would lose Yoongi, who wasn't doing so well. The woman certainly wasn't ready to bury her son, and her determined gaze dissuaded Jin from joking around. Luckily, Taehyung was doing better than expected. Although he still had a fever and had lost a lot of blood, the bullet had missed the subclavian artery and other important nerves.

"I'll get the cars, Jin, go get disinfectant and bandages," called Hoseok, getting out of the tank as well.

The sun had disappeared over the horizon and the air was getting colder, enough for the man to feel goosebumps rise on his forearms. This place was giving him the creeps and he quickly made his way to the closest parking lot, ready to break a few windows in order to get a ride.

However, their arrival had been noticed by the locals, as well as the gigantic mushroom of smoke that was slowly dissipating in the sky, forming a deformed pale grey cloud in the background. Hoseok saw someone in the gallery of the local bar, sitting in a rocking chair with an old wooden carbine in hand, and suddenly felt like he had plunged into one of those old movies about the Wild West.

A loud noise coming from his left made him turn around and when he looked up, he saw two army jets emerging from the night and flying straight towards Area 51.

"They're going to assess the level of damage and call for reinforcements, but I don't think they will take the risk of landing."

Hoseok's eyes detached from the sky to face Aria, who was also gazing at the two aircrafts circling around the remnant of the military base.

"How can you be so sure?"

She shrugged.

"I used to work for the government, I know how they think."

Hoseok narrowed his eyes suspiciously and let out a groan, turning around to head towards the restaurant parking lot. Friend of Namjoon or not, it was strangely convenient that she had come to rescue them exactly at the right moment. It was also a mystery how she had even entered the fortress in the first place. However, Hoseok didn't have the time to investigate. Being the interim boss meant he needed to keep all of them alive as much as possible, and right now, to do that he needed wheels that were more subtle than a fucking army tank.