22| Battle Royale

- I want blood, guts, and chocolate cake-

Hannah was in the ring, fists closed to her face as she glared at her adversary

Well she wasn't exactly standing inside of a ring; it was more like a round pit surrounded by gratings designed to separate her from the crowd.

The Den, situated beneath the Sparta boxing gym, was a very large round area. Just like the gym upstairs, it looked a little neglected. The numerous pipes that covered the ceiling looked old and rusty, the walls and the floors were covered with scratches, the paint was chipped and a stuffy smell of sweat invaded the air. The public was sitting into scaffolds surrounding the pit, so close that the first row was actually able to grab the gratings that delimited the fighting space. Harsh yellow neon illuminated the place, making the people in the public look unseemly as they screamed and thrusted their fists in the air. Hannah looked at the crowd and suddenly felt a little claustrophobic.

There was a lot of people out there and the vast majority of them rooted for the other team. Their screams were so loud as they resonated into the room that Hannah asked herself how the club had stayed hidden for so long. Clearly, they could be heard from at least a mile away.

The girl exhaled slowly.

"Give it up for Brass Knuckles!" yelled Stelios in his mic as he stood in the middle of the ring.

The crowd roared in approval as they cheered for their favourite.

"And please welcome our newbie, Medusa!"

Hannah smiled shyly as cheers erupted for her, clearly not as loudly as for her adversary. Still, she distinctly heard Hoseok and Yoongi yell her name louder than all the others and it warmed up her heart.

She couldn't blame the crowd for not being on her side. Herself thought that her chances of winning were pretty slim.

The man before her, Brass Knuckles was a lot taller than her, a lot heavier, and a lot stronger. He was uniquely wearing grey boxing shorts, and his muscular upper body shined under the yellow neon. Clearly, he had oiled his arms and his chest to look even more menacing. His back was covered with the tattoo of a tiger, the face of the beast roaring, its dangerous eyes covering the man's shoulder blades.

Brass Knuckles smiled as he looked at Hannah. His eyes were sunken, and he missed some teeth, his half-shaved crane also shining with oil.

The girl breathed out deeply, eyes closed as she clutched her fists. She felt too hot in her combat outfit. At least, Ms. Min had insisted on braiding her hair to keep it out of her face and she could see clearly.

Stelios left the ring, leaving the contestants facing each other.

"Are you ready?"

The crowd hooted and roared, the first-row audience swatting against the gratings. The metallic noise made Hannah wince. She suddenly understood what animals in a zoo must be feeling like.