13| Please Stay

- It gets better sometimes-

Namjoon was walking fast, looking around from time to time to check if he wasn't followed

The streets of Chicago were as busy and noisy as usual, cars honking, people walking fast, talking on their cellphones. There were also the background sounds of the wind in the trees, the subway underneath his feet, the sirens of a faraway police car.

Namjoon suddenly felt small as he looked up to the clouds, looking at the exact place where the glass skyscrapers around him melted into the sky.

Maybe, in other circumstances, he would have actually enjoyed his walk. He could have strolled down the lakeshore, or maybe even end up in one of the small bookshops he liked so much.

Today however, that wasn't his plan.

He had a mission, one that only him could accomplish.

If only Taehyung knew...

Namjoon was pretty sure that if Taehyung was to learn where he was going at the moment, he would kill him without blinking.

Finally, the man arrived at his destination.

The Westin Hotel appeared before him, brick building that slightly contrasted with the rest of the decor by its shabby state.

Namjoon pulled his cap over his face before entering. He kept his gaze on his feet, being careful not to make eye contact with anyone.

He breathed in sharply when he got inside the elevator, realizing that his heart was pumping abnormally fast against his ribcage.

He was meeting with someone from his past, someone he thought he would never see again and the idea of meeting her after all this time filled him with as much joy as it filled him with dread.

What if all of this is a trap?

The elevator came to a halt and Namjoon got out, dragging his feet on the cheap carpet. He walked up to the room 843 and waited for a second, gathering his courage before he knocked.

"Who is this?"

"It's – It's me," the man stuttered, his mouth suddenly feeling dry.

There was a silence on the other side of the door.

"Prove it."

Namjoon sighed, fumbling in his pocket for his wallet. He opened it and took out the small picture that had always been there, the corners yellowed with time.

On it, two people were seen; young, beautiful and in love as they looked at each other, a glint of mischief in their eyes. At the back, a few words were written, the ink smeared and almost illegible.

I'm just glad we found each other. Xo – Aria

Namjoon slipped it under the door.

He suddenly heard the door lock being undone, and it opened a little, the security chain still attached.